I'm sure that you remember all of the hype in 2017 about the iPhone. That's because it was the 10-year anniversary of Apple's signature gadget. In honor of that anniversary, Apple released the impressive iPhone X.
One thing that makes smartphones great is the abundance of apps that are available. As we said, it's been a decade since the first iPhone. That means Apple's App Store wasn't far behind. In fact, this amazing marketplace first showed up on the scene in July 2008, a year after the iPhone hit shelves.
Over the past 10 years, there have been tons of iOS apps that people around the globe have fallen in love with. App Annie put together a list of the most popular iOS apps over the last decade. Let's take a look at some of them.
Most popular iOS apps of all-time
Have you ever wondered just how many apps there have been in the App Store? The numbers are staggering. There are more than 2 million apps that have been downloaded more than 170 billion times. Nearly 10,000 of those apps have generated $1 million or more in revenue.
As you know, some apps are free, some you have to pay for, and some have in-app purchase options. Here are the top 10 iOS apps in two categories, free, and those consumers spent money on from 2010 to 2018 worldwide.
Top 10 free iOS apps
10. QQ - This is an instant messaging app that is extremely popular in China.
9. WeChat - Yet another messaging app that is popular in China. This one also lets users make calls, send texts, video chat and more.
8. Skype - One of the original video chat apps around and super popular. Keeping in touch with family who live hundreds of miles away has never been easier.
7. Snapchat - Teens really love Snapchat. It's a social media app that lets you keep in touch with friends and family with its interactive, multimedia messaging system.
6. Google Maps - Who doesn't love Google Maps? It makes navigating your world faster and easier. Find the best places in town and the information you need to get there.
5. WhatsApp Messenger - This is a free messaging app owned by Facebook and uses your phone's internet connection or Wi-Fi to let you message and call friends and family.
4. Instagram - Another social media app. Instagram is an easy way to capture and share life's moments with friends and family. You can follow others to see what they are up to and discover accounts from all over the world that share the types of things you love.
3. YouTube - Who would have thought a video sharing site would be this dominate? It really is an internet phenomenon! Not only can you watch videos, but you can create your own and make tons of money based on the number of views they get.
2. Messenger - Facebook Messenger is the most popular messaging app in the world. There's an estimated 1.2 billion users worldwide.
1. Facebook - You might have been able to guess this. Facebook is the number one free iOS app. There are over 2 billion users in the world. Wow!
Go to page 2 to find out the top 10 paid apps.
Top 10 consumer spend iOS apps
The 10 apps on this list have generated the most revenue of all iOS apps. Some apps have both free and versions that consumers spend to use. That's why number 10 on this list is the same as number 10 on the free list.
10. QQ - This popular Chinese messaging app is number 10 on both the free and paid for iOS apps lists.
9. Kwai - Here's another highly-downloaded app in China. It's described as a video social network that offers dozens of unique filters.
8. HBO Now - This is a great app for cord cutters. It lets users stream their favorite HBO programming without needing to pay for cable.
7. iQiyi - It's an online video platform that is described as the Netflix of China. Users can stream movies, TV shows, along with other digital content.
6. LINE - Here's another popular messaging app. This one is huge in Japan. Users can exchange texts, photos, video and audio, make calls and more.
5. Tinder - It was only a matter of time before a dating app made the list. Tinder comes in at number 5 on the all-time iOS consumer spend apps. It's known for its swipe right to like and swipe left to dislike someone. One of the easiest ways to find a match online.
4. Tencent Video - Popular video streaming app in China. (Note: We don't have a link for this app.)
3. Pandora - I'm sure you've at least heard of this one. Pandora gives you a personalized music experience that constantly evolves with your tastes. You can create stations from your favorite songs, artists or genres. Or search to find recommended stations for your mood or activity.
2. Spotify Music - Here's another way to stream your favorite music. You can search for specific tracks, artists or albums. There's also the option to make and share playlists.
And finally, for the number 1 iOS consumer spend app of all time...
1. Netflix - Netflix coming in at number 1 is no surprise. With the amazing popularity of cord cutting, Netflix leads the way. Watch TV shows, movies, award-winning Netflix original series and documentaries. It's a streaming service that really has something for everyone.
7 best beaches of the world
If you're interested in "best of" lists, here's another one for you. It's a collection of the most breathtaking beaches from all over the globe. You'll surely want to visit at least a couple of these amazing destinations.