The smart home revolution is fundamentally changing the way we live. Smart appliances used to be the stuff of futuristic flicks like "The Jetsons" and "Back to the Future," but they are quickly becoming commonplace.
But regardless of how smart your home is, security will always be a daily concern. More so with the smart home revolution in full swing, you will want a security system that will play nicely with your other smart gadgets and appliances.
There are several smart home friendly security systems available, but figuring out the right one isn’t always easy.
Enter our sponsor SimpliSafe. With its recent updates, SimpliSafe's new home security system now works with the most popular smart speaker/Virtual assistant out there, Amazon's Alexa!
SimpliSafe and Alexa
Unveiled in this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES), SimpliSafe's all-new and redesigned home security system now has Alexa compatibility. Now, you can simply bark your commands to your Amazon Echo smart speaker to arm your SimpliSafe system.
Not only that, unlike the first-gen SimpliSafe security system, not only is the new base station faster and more powerful, it now has both cellular and Wi-Fi connectivity! All the next-gen components and sensors can also work with Wi-Fi as well and are even smaller and faster than ever.
Why the Alexa compatibility? Founder and CEO of SimpliSafe Chad Laurans said, “For us, ease of use is a security feature. We aim to make our security systems a delight to use, and being able to arm it with a voice command is just another way that SimpliSafe makes being safe, simple.”
New Alexa skill and commands
To pair your new SimpliSafe home security system with Alexa, simply enable the SimpliSafe skill on your Amazon Echo via the Amazon Alexa app then link your SimpliSafe account.
Tip in a tip: Here’s how you activate an Alexa Skill
- Open your Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet, tap the menu icon (the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner) then tap Skills.
- Here you can browse or search for the skills you may want to use.
- Tap on the desired skill, then tap “Enable.” That’s it!
Once your account is linked, you can now ask Alexa to tell SimpliSafe a variety of commands including checking your system's status and arming your system in Home or Away modes.
And with SimpliSafe's integration with compatible August Smart Locks, Alexa can even automatically lock your door when you arm your SimpliSafe system.
Note: Keep in mind that for security reasons, disarming your SimpliSafe system via Alexa voice commands is disabled.
Alexa Simplisafe Commands
Here are the SimpliSafe Alexa voice commands you can use:
SimpliSafe Away Mode commands:
SimpliSafe's Away mode will turn on all your SimpliSafe sensors and protect your home throughout the day:
- “Alexa, ask SimpliSafe to arm my system in Away mode.”
- “Alexa, tell SimpliSafe I’m going out.”
- “Alexa, tell SimpliSafe I’m leaving.”
- “Alexa, tell SimpliSafe to turn on.”
SimpliSafe Home Mode commands:
SimpliSafe's Home Mode will protect your home by activating your door and window sensors, locking your supported smart locks, and closes your SimpliCam camera's shutters for privacy:
- “Alexa, ask SimpliSafe to arm my system in Home mode.”
- “Alexa, tell SimpliSafe to lock up.”
- “Alexa, tell SimpliSafe good night.”
SimpliSafe status check commands:
You can also check your SimpliSafe's current status with these commands:
- “Alexa, ask SimpliSafe if my home is secure.”
- “Alexa, ask SimpliSafe if I am protected.”
- “Alexa, ask SimpliSafe for my current status.”
- “Alexa, ask SimpliSafe what’s shakin’.”
So, what are you waiting for? Are you ready for the next generation of smart home security?