Winter is coming. No, we're not talking about the popular TV series "Game of Thrones."
We're talking about the coldest season of the year, winter. Believe me, it will be here before you know it.
With it comes some pretty special occasions. Making great memories with family and friends over the holidays. Or, maybe hitting the slopes over a long weekend to try your hand at skiing is more your thing. Whatever the case, there are plenty of things to love about winter.
For many, the worst part of the season is the extremely cold temperatures. I like to keep my home nice and toasty when Old Man Winter comes calling. Unfortunately, that can mean some pretty hefty bills to look forward to.
This is the last thing you need following the high costs of cooling your home during the heat of the summer. There has to be a better way. Don't worry, there is.
That's why you need to know the smarter way to heat and cool your home.
A great way to cut the high energy costs of heating and cooling your home is by adding a smart thermostat. This is smart technology that lets you control your home's temperature remotely with a smartphone, tablet or computer. It helps you keep costs low by adjusting your home's temperature even when you are not there.
This technology also adds a level of convenience that we've never had before. During wintertime, you can set your thermostat to a cooler temperature while you're out, keeping costs low. Then, turn the heat up using your gadget when you're on the way home so it's nice and warm when you get there.
It also works in the summer, just reverse the scenario. Set the air conditioner at a warmer temperature while you're away and turn it down when you're headed back to the house. Either way, you're only heating and cooling the house when you actually need it, potentially saving you a nice chunk of change throughout the year.
There are many smart thermostats to choose from and most have some unique features. So which one should you get? Let's look at two of our favorite options on the market.
(PssT! The second thermostat we'll talk about is our recommended pick.)
Do you know that your thermostat accounts for nearly half of your energy costs? It's true.
The Nest Learning Thermostat can help you control those energy costs. This smart thermostat has the ability to learn what temperature you like to keep your home comfortable and builds a schedule around yours. It will automatically adjust the temperature in your home so that you don't have to.
The Nest adapts as your life and the seasons change. Simply use it for one week and it will program itself. It's that easy to use.
Watch the following quick video for a brief demonstration:
It's estimated that people who use the Nest save an average of 10 to 12 percent on heating bills and 15 percent on cooling bills. That adds up quickly and the savings can cover costs of the Nest in under two years.
Here are some of the smart thermostat's features:
- Google Home works with Nest - Feeling cold? Just say, "OK Google, set my temperature to 74 degrees."
- Amazon Alexa - Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control. (Note: Alexa device sold separately.)
- Auto-Schedule - Nest learns the temperatures you like and programs itself in about a week.
- Home/Away Assist - Nest automatically turns itself down when nobody's home to help you save energy.
- Remote Control - Connect your thermostat to Wi-Fi to control the temperature from your phone, tablet or laptop.
- Farsight - When the Nest Thermostat spots you across the room, it lights up to show you the time, temperature or weather.
- Energy History - Check your Energy History in the Nest app to see how much energy you use and why.
- Nest Leaf - You'll see the Leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy. It guides you in the right direction.
The Nest Learning Thermostat is available for purchase on Amazon for under $250. Buy this amazing smart thermostat by clicking the button below.Buy from Amazon
If you decide to go with the Nest Learning Thermostat, you'll want to download its app. The app is available for free on both Apple and Android Gadgets.
ecobee4 Alexa-enabled thermostat with sensor
The ecobee4 is more than a smart thermostat. It comes with built-in Amazon Alexa Voice Service and you can ask it to do tasks like order groceries, read the news, and so much more.
Most thermostats read the temperature in just one location of your home, which can make other rooms uncomfortable. Not the ecobee4. It comes with a free room sensor to help manage hot and cold spots in your home.
When you place sensors in your favorite rooms, ecobee4 can read the temperature and detect occupancy. That's how it ensures comfort in rooms that matter most.
Watch the following video for a quick demonstration of the ecobee4:
It's estimated that you can save an average of 23 percent on heating and cooling costs each year with ecobee4. Here are some of its features:
- Built-in Alexa Voice Service - You can ask your ecobee4 to perform the many "skills" that come with Alexa for total hands-free control. Ask it to set a timer, read you the news, adjust the temperature, and much more.
- Far-Field technology - This technology allows your ecobee4 to hear you from across the room.
- Room sensors - These help manage hot and cold spots throughout your home, delivering comfort to rooms that matter most. One sensor comes with the ecobee4 and more are available for purchase.
- Remote control - Easily adjust temperature and comfort settings from anywhere with your Apple or Android gadgets by downloading the free app.
- Easy installation - The ecobee4 is easy to install with a handy step-by-step guide that can be found right on your phone.
- Free energy reports - This allows you to see how much energy you've conserved each month and provides insight into your heating and cooling equipment.
The ecobee4 thermostat is available for purchase on Amazon for under $250. Buy this amazing smart thermostat by clicking the button below.Buy from Amazon
If you decide to go with the ecobee3 thermostat, you'll want to download its app. The app is available for free on both Apple and Android Gadgets.
Bonus tip: Secure your home with ADT
Now that you've decided to upgrade your home with smart thermostats, you're going to want to keep everything, including your family, protected. We recommend using our sponsor ADT.
ADT has been one of the most trusted, well-known brands in home security for more than a century. Now, ADT makes it easy to take smarter control over the climate in your home with remote temperature monitoring and ADT PULSE works with the Nest learning thermostat.
Note: If you are reading this article using the Komando.com app, click here to watch the demonstration videos.
Since we're talking about money, how would you like a simple way to earn a little extra?
Most of us could use some additional funds from time to time. Whether you're planning a family vacation, looking to remodel your home, or need a new car, a few extra dollars would really help. There's even a fun way to earn extra money from home that you might not know about.