If you have an iPhone, iPad or an iPod touch you will occasionally receive a notification that an iOS update is available. Do you ever wonder why these updates are necessary?
The most critical reason operating systems (OS) need to be updated is to patch vulnerabilities that have been discovered. The flaws are patched so they can no longer be exploited by cybercriminals.
Security patches are not always the sole purpose of OS updates, though. Many times they will also contain some nifty new features that users don't know about.
That's why we're going to tell you about the top iOS 10.3 hidden tricks that will make life easier.
How to update your Apple gadgets
First, you need to know how to update your gadget. The 10.3 update is available for:
- iPhone 5 models and newer
- Fourth-generation iPads and newer
- Sixth-generation iPod Touches and newer
Go into your "Settings" app and select "General." From there, select "Software Update" and your device will begin to check for updates. Then select "Download and Install."
To get the update from iTunes, connect your device to a computer, open iTunes, and select your device from the menu in your iTunes Library. Select "Summary" and then click on "Check for Update." Finally, select "Download and Update" and wait for the update to sync to your device.
1. Apple ID Profile
iOS 10.3 introduced Apple ID profile into the Settings app. You will see a new tab right at the top of the screen when you open Settings.
This feature puts everything associated with your Apple ID on a single page. Here you'll find tabs for:
- Name, Phone Numbers, Email - Tapping on this tab shows your name, email address and phone number tied to your Apple ID. You can also enter your birthday, turn on announcements, choose to receive recommendations for music and new apps.
- Password & Security - Here you can change your password and security questions. Turn on or off two-factor authentication and add a rescue email.
- Payment & Shipping - You can see what payment method that you're using with iTunes, iCloud, the Apple Online Store and more. This payment method can be changed in iTunes and App Store Settings.
- iCloud - This is where you will see the amount of iCloud storage being used and what you have available. It also shows which apps are using iCloud and lets you turn on or off iCloud Drive.
- iTunes & App Store - Clicking this tab will show you your Apple ID and Password Settings. Also, you can turn on or off automatic downloads for new purchases made on other devices including Music, Apps, Books & Audiobooks and Updates.
- Set Up Family Sharing - With Family Sharing you can share purchased music, movies, TV shows, books and apps. Share a family membership to Apple Music. Share photos and videos in family photo albums and much more.
At the bottom of the Apple ID Profile page, you will see all the Apple devices that you are signed in with.
2. Maps weather report
A helpful new feature has been added to your Maps app. Your current location is displayed when Maps is opened. Now, you will also see the local temperature in the bottom right corner.
If you are traveling and want to see what the temperature is at your destination, just search for the city and the current temp in that area will appear.
If you have an iPhone 6S or newer, one that supports 3D touch, the weather feature is even more helpful. All you need to do is push the weather icon and a 7-day forecast will pop-up right in the Maps app.
3. Find my AirPods
As you might already know, Apple eliminated the headphone jack in the iPhone 7. The tech giant is hoping customers make the move to its AirPods. They are wireless, rechargeable and small earbud speakers that are intended to replace traditional headphones.
But you do NOT want to lose them! These handy little listening devices cost a hefty $159 for a pair. If you're lucky enough to only lose one of the AirPods, you can replace it for just $69. (Sarcasm intended)
Apple has come up with a solution to ease your fear of losing these precious devices. iOS 10.3 updates its Find My iPhone app with a feature that helps you locate your AirPods. Use Find My iPhone to see your AirPods on a map, or play a sound to locate them.
If you've already set up Find My iPhone with an Apple gadget that you're using with your AirPods, it's automatically enabled for your AirPods too. So if your AirPods are lost, out of their case and somewhere nearby, you can use Find My iPhone to find them again.
If the AirPods are out of range of all your gadgets, need to charge, or are in the AirPod Case, Find My iPhone can still help by showing the time and location where they were last connected.
To see your AirPods on a map
Sign in at iCloud.com or use the Find My iPhone app to see your AirPods on a map. Find My iPhone shows you the location of the Apple devices that you're signed in to with the same Apple ID and your AirPods. Or if they're not connected, the last time and place they were online.
On your computer:
- Go to iCloud.com
- Sign in with your Apple ID
- Open Find iPhone
- Click All Devices, then click your AirPods
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Open the Find My iPhone app
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password
- Tap your AirPods
Next to each gadget on the map, you will see a colored dot telling you the gadget's status.
- Blue shows the gadget that you're using to look for your missing AirPods.
- Green lets you know that your AirPods are online. That Means you can play a sound or get directions to find them.
- Gray means your AirPods are off, out of battery, in their case, or out of range. You might be able to see the last known location.
How to play a sound
If your AirPods are close to any of your Apple gadgets and connected to Bluetooth, you can play a sound to help you find them from iCloud.com or the Find My iPhone app. Your AirPods play a sound for two minutes or until you tell them to stop.
- Go to Actions >> Play Sound
- If your AirPods are not together, choose Mute Left or Mute Right to find one at a time
- When you find your AirPods, tap Stop Playing
If your AirPods are offline and you didn't turn on Find My iPhone before they went missing, you can't use it to locate your device. If you see a gray dot next to your AirPods on the map, you can't play a sound to find them but you can still get directions to the location where they were last connected. If your AirPods do come back online, you'll get a notification on the Apple gadget you use them with.
Bonus: Watch the video at the beginning of this article to see two more hidden tricks that we didn't cover here.