With the Windows 10 anniversary update rolling out, you might need to free up space on your hard drive for it to install. There are a few simple steps to take, and in no time, you’ll be free to get the last Windows update of 2016.
First, we'll get rid of some temporary files. These are files that are no longer of use to your computer.
- Search “Disk Cleanup” in the taskbar.
- Select the drive you need to free up.
- Select the files you want to delete then press OK.
Next, let's take care of the system files. This is where you can get rid of old versions of Windows (i.e. Windows 7 or 8)
- Search “Disk Cleanup” again after your files delete.
- Click “Clean up system files”.
- Select the files to delete and press OK.
If you notice you still have temporary files you can’t get rid of, don’t worry, we can help you take care of those too.
- In your taskbar search, type “Run.”
- In the window that opens type “%temp%” and click OK. You’ll be taken to a folder with all your temporary files.
- Select all the files, right-click and select "Delete".
- When your PC finishes moving them to the Recycle Bin, right click and select “Empty Recycle Bin.”
Depending on how many files you're deleting this whole process can take more than 10 minutes to complete, so please be patient.
Bookmark this article as a reference and repeat these steps as frequently as you choose. Not sure how to create a bookmark? Click here to learn.