Typically, Apple holds a major event to announce new hardware and software in the fall. The last few years, the tech giant has also been quietly holding a spring event.
This year was no different. At Apple's 2017 spring event they announced updates to the most recent iPhone, a new iPad, a new video editing app and more.
However, the biggest news that you need to know about was the new iPad and iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models.
Apple will be eliminating its popular iPad Air line of tablets. Instead, a new 9.7-inch version just called iPad is being released.
Here are some of the new iPad features:
- 9.7-inch Retina display - The vivid display is the perfect size to bring images to life.
- 64-bit A9 chip
- 10-hour battery life
- iOS 10
- 8MP HD front facing camera - You can shoot high-quality photos and 1080p HD video with the 8-megapixel camera.
- 1.2MP HD FaceTime camera - Use the front facing camera for selfies or video chats.
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- Lightweight - It has a great portable design, only weighing 1 pound and is 7.5-mm thin. Don't let its sleek design fool you, though. The iPad has an aluminum body and is built for durability.
The new iPad is an update of Apple's most popular-sized tablet, featuring a brighter 9.7-inch Retina display and best-in-class performance at its most affordable price ever. You can choose between two different iPad storage sizes. The 32GB capacity starts at $329 and the 128GB capacity starts at $429.
Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing said, "iPad is the world's most popular tablet. Customers love the large, 9.7-inch display for everything from watching TV and movies, to surfing the web, making FaceTime calls, and enjoying photos, and now it is even more affordable. New customers and anyone looking to upgrade will love this new iPad for use at home, in school, and for work, with its gorgeous Retina display, powerful A9 chip and access to the more than 1.3 million apps designed specifically for it."