Skip to Content
Technology

Teen dies from using smartphone while taking a bath

There’s nothing more important than the safety of a child. Keeping them safe is the number one priority for any parent or grandparent.

That’s why you need to know about this tragic story. A Texas teenager lost her life over the weekend while charging her smartphone.

Madison Coe, a 14-year-old from Lubbock, died Sunday at her father’s house in New Mexico. Coe’s family said she was electrocuted while taking a bath. The girl either plugged the phone into an outlet while she was in the bathtub or just grabbed the phone while it was already plugged in.

Image: Madison Coe (Source: GoFundMe)

Madison’s grandmother Donna O’Guinn told KCBD-TV, “There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what happened. This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your [cellphone] in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.”

Madison’s stepmother, Felisha Owens, told KRQE News 13 that, “The bathroom is a place for showers and personal time and your phones don’t belong in the bathroom. Electricity and water do not mix. All it takes is a drop.”

That’s sound advice, and not just for kids. Everyone needs to be extremely careful dealing with electronics near water, tragedy can strike at any moment.

More stories you can’t miss:

How to see what the kids are doing on their phones

New Facebook friend request hoax spreading – Is it a scam?

How to stop your smart TV from spying on you

Ambassador Program background

Refer friends, earn rewards!

Why not share your new source of digital-lifestyle news, tips and advice with others? When your friends and family subscribe to Kim's free newsletters, you earn points toward awesome rewards!

Get Rewarded