If you’ve been a user of Microsoft over the past decade or so, you may have noticed it has constantly focused on creating a better overall experience. Specifically in the Windows 10 program. Similar to the car industry, with each major update, we’re introduced to upgraded features and options that make the experience easier.
This is what gave us virtual desktops, improved versions of the Start Menu and much more. However, one thing users consistently want is to have a faster interaction with the system itself. While a mouse and touchscreen are good options for quick interaction, nothing beats the shortcut that the most important part of the computer can give you. The keyboard.
It turns out that the Windows logo key, which can be found on virtually any Microsoft device, is more powerful than you may think. If you know how to use it that is. Keep reading and we’ll show you the most useful keyboard shortcuts from Windows 10, one keystroke at a time.
What are the keyboard shortcuts for the Windows 10 desktop?
Let’s be honest, the mouse is probably the most used piece of hardware connected to the computer, simply because it makes things easier for you to navigate and interact with. However, there are those who find themselves using the keyboard as much as possible.
Frequent keyboard users find it much faster to interact with because they don’t need to constantly move their hand in order to get to where they want to go on their desktop. If you are a keyboard user, you’re going to love the shortcuts now featured on Windows 10.
Check out the shortcuts below and you may find a few that will make you even faster:
- Windows logo key = Open and close start menu
- Windows logo key + A = Open Action center
- Windows key + Pause = Display Systems Priority dialog box
- Windows logo key + C = Open Cortana in listening mode
- Windows key + D = Display desktop
- Windows key + M = Minimize all windows
- Windows key + E = Open computer
- Windows key + F = Begin feedback dialogue
- Windows key + Shift + M = Restore minimized windows to desktop
- Ctrl + Windows key + F = Search for other computers on the same network
- Windows key + L = Lock computer or switch users
- Windows key + R = Open run dialogue box
- Windows key + T = Cycle through Taskbar programs
- Windows key + number = Start program pinned to the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
- Shift + Windows key + number = Start a new instance of the program pinned to the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
- Ctrl + Windows key + number = Switch to the last active window of the program pinned to the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
- Alt + Windows key + number = Open the jump list for the program pinned to the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
- Windows key + V = Open the clipboard
- Windows key + tab = Cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D
- Ctrl + Windows key + tab = Use arrow keys to cycle through programs on the Taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D
- Ctrl + Windows + B = Switch to program that displays a message in the notification area
- Windows key + Up Arrow = Maximize window
- Windows key + Down Arrow = Minimize the desktop window
- Windows key + Right Arrow = Maximize window on right side of the screen
- Windows key + Left Arrow = Maximize window on the left side of the screen
- Windows key + Home = Minimize all except the active window
- Windows key + Shift + Up Arrow = Stretch the window from the top and bottom of the screen
- Windows key + Shift + Left Arrow or Right Arrow = Move an open window or app from one monitor to another
- Windows key + P = Select a presentation display mode
- Windows key + G = Open the Game bar
- Windows key + U = Open Ease of Access Center
- Windows key + X = Open the Context menu for the Start Button
- Windows key + Ctrl + M = Open the Magnifier app
For more tips on how to become a Windows power user grab my eBook “Windows 10: Secrets and Tips for Busy People.” Even if you’ve used Windows for years, I have a lot to teach you about how to get the most out of the operating system.
This eBook is packed with tips and tricks to make you more efficient and productive — and make life just a little easier. Get it now for your Amazon Kindle!