Some of the biggest names in tech are social media platforms. With users (and revenue) numbering in the billions, you’d think these companies would be careful with all the data they have access to. But of course, they aren’t. Tap or click here for the worst apps for your privacy.
TikTok is among the biggest offenders regarding data, but the damage goes beyond that. Viral trends on the platform can range from annoying to downright dangerous.
A recent TikTok challenge is so dangerous to your health that the FDA had to step in. How bad could it be? It’s worse than you think.
Humanity is doomed
We can’t believe we have to say this: Please don’t cook chicken in NyQuil. This latest TikTok trend challenges people to eat chicken cooked with NyQuil (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan and doxylamine) or similar over-the-counter cough and cold medications.
You can see videos on TikTok showing people actually doing this challenge. But we won’t stoop that low and show it here. If you must see it to believe it, do a quick search.
The FDA posted a notice warning of the dangers of this ridiculous act: “Boiling a medication can make it much more concentrated and change its properties in other ways.” Here’s a quick video warning from the FDA:
Taking a recommended dose of NyQuil is fine when you’re under the weather, but this is akin to overdosing on the stuff. Not only that, but you don’t even need to eat the medicine-soaked chicken to get hurt. Just inhaling the vapors while it’s cooking can cause lung damage.
The FDA points to another TikTok challenge involving taking large doses of allergy medicine diphenhydramine, such as Benadryl, to try to induce hallucinations. Really?
RELATED: Here’s another reason to ditch TikTok: It can record what you type
Think about your kids
As an adult, you know that messing with any medication, OTC or otherwise, is dangerous. Now think about the young people in your life. Here are some steps to protect them:
- Talk to your kids about the dangers of these viral challenges, especially when it comes to drug abuse. Social media trends are not worth risking their health or even their lives.
- TikTok and social media, in general, are highly influential, especially on impressionable young minds. TikTok has parental controls such as family pairing, which you can check out here. From there, you can monitor their usage and restrict certain content.
- We recommend you don’t let your kids use TikTok at all. Delete it from their devices and do so yourself if you have an account. Follow the steps below to remove TikTok from your life.
Delete TikTok from your Android phone
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- At the top right, tap the Profile icon.
- Tap Manage apps & devices > Manage.
- Tap the TikTok app, then tap Uninstall.
Delete TikTok from your iPhone
- Touch and hold the TikTok app.
- Tap Remove App.
- Tap Delete App, then tap Delete to confirm.
What to do if your child accepted the challenge
If you believe your child has ingested too much medication, call 911 immediately or contact poison control at 800-222-1222. You can also find poison control resources online at poison.org.
Delete TikTok – Here’s what the Chinese company collects about you
This TikTok cleaning trend will ruin your pipes – Don’t do it