A good night’s sleep is incredibly beneficial to your health. It heals and repairs your heart and blood vessels, allows your mind to recharge, and helps you stay at a healthy weight. Here are some of the states with the most sleep problems.
But with everything going on in the world, many people struggle to fall asleep or stay asleep. You can try several things to get proper shut-eye, with many turning to technology.
Read on for a viral video that claims to get you sleeping sound in under two minutes.
Here’s the backstory
Whether you meditate to center and calm yourself or sip chamomile tea, there are plenty of techniques to lower your stress levels. But a viral TikTok video, viewed over 5 million times, claims to work in two minutes.
Fitness expert Justin Agustin highlighted the military sleep method in a short clip, explaining that it works for people who have difficulty falling asleep.
“This technique was developed in the military to allow soldiers to fall asleep at any time, any place. According to my research, this was developed mainly for fighter pilots who need 100% of their reflexes and focus, which we all know decreases with lack of sleep,” he explains.
The technique’s origin is unclear, but it was first described in Lloyd Bud Winter’s 1981 book Relax and Win: Championship Performance. Winter was a track and field coach, and the book serves as a guide on how to perform better in sport. In this book, it was first claimed to be a sleeping method for the U.S. military.
What you can do about it
If you find falling asleep in two minutes appealing, be aware that it will probably take a few weeks for you to reach the 120-second claim. Remember, soldiers had to practice for many hours before doing it on the battlefield.
Here’s what you do:
- Ensure no distractions are in your room, including mobile phones and lights. You can close your eyes if it helps.
- Relax your face muscles, tighten them, and relax again.
- Let your shoulders relax and fall towards the bed while your arms are loose and free.
- During this time, breathe slow and steadily in and out, paying attention to the sound of it. Relax your chest with each motion.
- Allow gravity to pull your legs and thighs downward, taking care not to resist.
- You will feel that your body is totally relaxed and almost weightless. Clear your mind for 10 seconds while letting thoughts pass by.
- Now, picture yourself lying on your back in a canoe, on a calm lake. There is nothing above you except a clear, blue sky.
- If you struggle with visualization, chant the mantra, “Don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” for 10 seconds instead.
That’s it. Doing this consistently should help you fall asleep quickly over time. Good luck and enjoy your rest.