If you’re an Apple fan, it’s an exciting time. Earlier this week, the company held another reveal event. But this time, it didn’t focus on all of its new shiny gadgets.
Instead, we learned about a bunch of new services. AppleTV+, Apple News, Apple Arcade, and there’s even a new Apple credit card in the works.
Lost in all the excitement was the fact that Apple just released an iOS update. And this one is extremely important because it patches over 50 security flaws.
You must update to iOS 12.2 immediately
Even though operating system updates are critical, many people don’t like installing them as soon as they come out. Believe me, I get it.
They wait to make sure the update is stable and free of issues that aren’t going to create more problems. Let’s face it, Microsoft has been having terrible issues with its Windows 10 updates lately.
However, this iOS update shouldn’t be taken lightly. That’s because iOS 12.2 comes with 51 different security patches.
Vulnerabilities in FaceTime, Mail, Messages and more are fixed with this update, so we recommend downloading and installing it right away. (PssT! Keep reading to learn how.)
There are some fun things included with iOS 12.2, too. You’ll have four new Animoji added to your repertoire, including a boar, giraffe, owl and shark. How could you resist?
Other things you get with the update include support for Apple News+ and the ability for Siri to play videos from your iOS device to Apple TV. Just ask Siri on your iPhone or iPad to play any video, show, movie, sporting event, or channel on Apple TV.
There’s also good news for Apple Pay Cash customers. You can now transfer money to your bank accounts instantly using your Visa debit card. Plus, the Wallet app now displays Apple Pay credit and debit card transactions right below the card.
How to update your iOS device
(Note: Make sure you have enough free storage space on your iPhone or iPad. Here are quick ways to clear space on your iOS gadget.)
Over-the-air on your iPhone or iPad
1. To get the update for your iPhone or iPad, go into your “Settings” app and select “General.”
2. From there, select “Software Update” and your phone will begin to check for updates.
3. If available, select “Download and Install” to get iOS 12.2 on your phone. Note: You might have to enter your passcode on your gadget to proceed with the update.
Update from iTunes
1. To get the update from iTunes, connect your device to a computer, open iTunes on your computer
2. Select your device from the iTunes menu
3. Select “Summary” and then select “Check for Update”
4. If an update is available, choose “Download and Update” and wait for the update to sync to your device. (Note: You will have to enter your passcode on your gadget to proceed with the update)
Backup your iOS gadget first!
Before any update, it is highly recommended that you perform a full backup of your gadget first before upgrading.
We recommend using our sponsor, IDrive. With IDrive, you can backup all your PCs, Macs and mobile devices into ONE account for one low cost!
Go to IDrive.com and use the promo code Kim to save 50% on 2 TB of cloud backup now! That’s less than $35 for the first year!