Skip to Content
© Mr.nutnuchit Phutsawagung | Dreamstime.com
Safety & security

Girl thrown ‘across the room’ after electric shock from phone charger

One of the most important roles of a parent is keeping children safe. These days, many of the dangers kids face are tech-related.

Who are they speaking with online? What information are they sharing? So many things to worry about. That’s why setting boundaries is so important. To help, Kim created a technology contract that acts as an agreement between you and your children. Tap or click here to download the free contract now.

However, sometimes the dangers aren’t online — they can be found right in your own home. You won’t believe how a young girl recently got electrically shocked by a phone charger.

Outlets can be dangerous for kids

An unnamed mother wants to warn parents about the dangers electrical outlets pose to children after her young daughter was severely hurt. She posted her story on a Facebook Group last month called CPR Kids. Here’s what she posted:

“My daughter was admitted into the hospital Monday after receiving a pretty bad electrical shock from trying to plug my phone charger in. Unfortunately, this happened right in front of me. I didn’t realize she knew how to attempt to plug in a charger until it was too late.

“The power strip she tried plugging the charger into (one end was already plugged in, she tried putting the phone part of the charger into the outlet) popped, shot sparks and what looked like flames and black smoke and threw her a few feet across the living room. She was quiet for a few seconds then started screaming and crying.

“In the ER they found an entrance wound but not an exit which worried them that it zapped her heart. She needed to stay overnight to monitor her heart. Thankfully she is OK besides a burn on her hand.”

Related: Don’t get burned by these generic phone chargers that can catch fire

The woman explained her entire house was actually baby-proofed with things like outlet covers and baby gates, but her child still got hurt from something she never considered could be an issue.

How to handle electrical burns

At the end of the post, CPR Kids gave advice on how to handle electrical burns if your child is ever in this unfortunate situation.

Here is what you should do:

  • For flame burns: Stop. Drop. Cover. Roll.
  • Remove clothing unless it is stuck to the skin.
  • Cool the burn with cool running tap water for 20 minutes.
  • Cover the burn with cling wrap or a non-stick dressing.
  • Seek medical help.
  • You can apply First Aid for up to three hours after the burn and it will still be effective.
Ambassador Program background

Refer friends, earn rewards!

Why not share your new source of digital-lifestyle news, tips and advice with others? When your friends and family subscribe to Kim's free newsletters, you earn points toward awesome rewards!

Get Rewarded