If you’re hitting the road with your family for Spring Break, or if you’re planning a vacation for later this year, you’ll need a checklist. You don’t want to forget anything, like swimsuits, toothbrushes, or a reservation for your pooch at a doggie hotel. It’s also really important that you have another checklist.
Burglars know that millions of people are taking vacations and leaving their homes empty. Don’t make it easy for them to break in. Make sure you have a home security checklist before you leave for vacation.
Fortunately, our sponsor SimpliSafe has a lot of experience keeping homes and valuables safe while you’re gone. Here are some of its recommendations for securing your home while you’re away.
Secure the inside of your home
Here’s how home security experts at SimpliSafe suggest you protect your home from the inside. Some of these may need to be modified if you have a house sitter or pet sitter coming inside once in a while.
- Update your home security monitoring service to ensure it has your updated contact information (if you have SimpliSafe, click here, then log into your account).
- Put valuables in a safety deposit box.
- Lock all your windows and close most of the shades.
- Put a timer on some of your lights.
- When you leave, set your security system.
You’ll also want to make sure you don’t return to any damaged property. So, turn off and unplug electronics, especially TVs, computers and other devices that can be damaged during power surges. Turn off the gas and water.
Also, to ensure you come home to a clean and fresh-smelling house, before you leave, clean your garbage disposal by running it and pouring in water and vinegar. Wash your dishes, dry out your sink, and throw out food that’ll spoil in the refrigerator. To save money, adjust your thermostat so it’s cooler than normal in winter and warmer than normal in summer.
Note: Consider beefing up your home protection with a security system from our sponsor SimpliSafe. It requires no drilling to install so you can set it up in 15 minutes in any house, apartment or garage. Even better, it doesn’t lock you into an expensive monitoring contract, so you save big money. Click here now to find out why SimpliSafe is the perfect alarm to protect you and your family.
Secure the outside of your home
Don’t make it easy for burglars to get inside your home. Here’s how home security experts at SimpliSafe suggest you protect your home from the outside.
- Move hidden spare keys inside your house while you’re gone
- Put your car in the garage
- Mow the lawn and trim the hedges
- Move ladders and other supplies a burglar could use to get to the second story
Get your neighbors involved
To keep your home safe, there may be nothing better than having your neighbors keep an eye on it. Offer to do the same when they’re away. That will benefit the whole neighborhood. For example, if your neighborhood is safe, insurance rates will stay low, and crime statistics won’t pop up on real estate websites.
Here’s how your neighbors can help keep your home safe, according to home security experts:
- Have them pick up ads and flyers that people stick on your door. Note: Click here to have the U.S. Post Office hold your mail. Plus, put a vacation stop on newspaper delivery.
- Give your most trustworthy neighbor an extra key in case they need to get in; give that neighbor your SimpliSafe safe word (change it when you get home) Note: With SimpliSafe, you can remotely turn off your home security system.
- Ask your neighbor to mow your lawn and trim your plants.
- Have them set out your trash cans, even if they’re empty.
Remember, you’ve worked hard to take your family on vacation. You shouldn’t spend your leisure time worrying about what’s going on at home.
With SimpliSafe, you don’t have to. It’s easy to install with no-drill wireless sensors. You’re not locked into an expensive multiyear monitoring contract. Plus, it’s easy to upgrade. You can buy a basic hardware package today and add more sensors as you need them. It includes non-security sensors like fire, freeze and carbon monoxide to keep you safe as well as secure.
Check out this video to see how easy it is to keep your family safe and your house secure, whether you’re home or sipping a beachside beverage thousands of miles away.
10 questions you should ask if you want a home security system
It has never been easier or more convenient to have a home security system delivered to your home that you can install in a few minutes! Our sponsor SimpliSafe has been redefining home security for years.