As a regular listener of my national radio show, reader here at Komando.com and subscriber to my newsletters, you know my top goal is to keep you informed of the ever-changing landscape of cyber threats and new ways you can protect yourself. One of those critical steps is backing up important files that could easily be lost if your computer crashes or if you’re hit by ransomware.
For the past 14 years, I’ve recommended Carbonite backup services to protect your precious files, and I’ve used it myself and for my studios. This year, however, there has been a huge change you need to be aware of.
You can always count on me to be honest with you. After a very long and successful run with Carbonite, the company has changed its focus and is now moving into the business enterprise space. Because of this, and because backing up your files is so essential, I’ve found another solution I believe will meet the diverse needs of consumers and small businesses.
After thoroughly evaluating numerous backup services, I’m thrilled to welcome IDrive as a new sponsor of my show and Komando.com. This decision was not made lightly. Let me share what sets IDrive apart and why I’m recommending you make the switch.
There’s no shortage of options when it comes to backup services, but when you compare these services, the best solution becomes clear: IDrive offers the most protection for the lowest price, which makes the value of the product incredible.
Unlike most backup services that charge per computer or device, IDrive lets you back up your data on every internet-enabled device in one account. This means you get one account for your computers, laptops, tablets and phones, as well as your online accounts, like Facebook and Instagram.
Plus, plans start at just $5.95 per month for 2TB of storage, which is less than your morning cup of coffee! And there’s even a free option for up to 5GB of storage.
Another advantage that sets IDrive apart is the speed of the backup of your files. While many other services clog your bandwidth, IDrive Express jump-starts your initial backup by using a shipped-drive method. Love that!
For me, however, the key reason IDrive stands out is because it offers a wide scope of features with its plans.
Whether you’re an individual who just needs to back up a single computer or a small business with servers full of customer data and financial records, IDrive offers a solution for you at an affordable price.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the features included in IDrive’s Basic, Personal and Business accounts.
- FREE backup option: Store up to 5GB absolutely free!
- Never expires: You’ll always be covered with your free IDrive account, with no expiration dates and no credit card required.
- Backup options for multiple devices: Keep all your data safe with unlimited backup for PCs, Macs, iPhones, iPads and Android devices, all within a single account.
- IDrive Express: Retrieve up to 3TB of data in less than a week as a physical storage shipment.
- Hybrid backup options: Back up data locally for faster restores and to the cloud for easy access in case of emergency.
- Powerful security and privacy features: IDrive protects your data with 256-bit AES encryption. Plus, you can set your own encryption key, so no one but you has access.
- Faster backups: IDrive uses incremental and compressed backups so your network’s bandwidth won’t be bogged down.
- Share your files: With IDrive, you can email your files and folders to others or share them on social media.
- Back up your social media accounts: Your computer, laptop and mobile devices aren’t the only things holding your data these days. This is why IDrive also offers the option to back up your Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- Back up Office 365: Don’t forget about data you’ve stored in cloud services, such as Office 365 and OneDrive. IDrive offers data-loss protection that isn’t even available from Microsoft.
- Archive Cleanup: Have peace of mind the files you need will always be there. No data is ever deleted from your IDrive account unless you delete it manually or initiate an “Archive Cleanup,” which matches the data on your device to your IDrive account.
- Rewind: Need to go back to a previous version of a backup batch? This feature makes it possible!
- Real-time file sync: Link your devices, and your files and folders will be synced automatically.
- Real-time backup: No need to initiate backups on a particular schedule. IDrive recognizes changes you’ve made to files and backs up your devices as they happen.
- IDrive Mobile: Protect your mobile data with the IDrive app for iOS and Android.
- Recover data: Have you ever accidentally deleted something? No problem. You can recover deleted files within 30 days.
- IDrive Smart Docs: Easily back up documents by taking a photo. Smart Docs will store a copy, identify key details and even generate reminders if you need them.
- Dashboard: Manage your entire backup with your administrator dashboard, and take advantage of the built-in reporting tools.
- Server backup: Protect data on S SQL servers, MS Exchange servers, Hyper-V, MS SharePoint servers, Oracle servers, Linux servers and VMware.
- DataCenter Edition: Using Linux servers? Get secure backups without having to work with confusing scripts and commands.
- Sub-accounts: Use sub-accounts to stay organized and easily monitor backups from different departments, such as finance, marketing, sales and research. All of these sub-accounts can be managed within your single administrator console.
- Business compliance: Stay compliant with government regulations such as HIPAA, SOX, GLBA and SEC/NASD. IDrive keeps you in check.
- IDrive Nearline: Access your archived bulk data within seconds.
- Disk image backup: Create a copy of your original drive.
- Multiple Express transfers: Go beyond the initial jumpstart for your business, and receive three free IDrive Express transfers per year, each up to 3TB.
- Premier installation: Get help installing IDrive on your business computers.
- Basic: 5GB, free
- 2TB, $52.12 for the first year
- 5TB, $74.62 for the first year
- 250GB, $74.62 for the first year
- 500GB, $149.62 for the first year
- 1.25TB, $374.62 for the first year
How to transfer from other backup services to IDrive
Now that you’ve seen all of the benefits IDrive offers, you’re probably wondering how to make the switch from other backup services. Don’t worry! It’s not too complicated.
Transferring your computer backup from another service, such as Carbonite, is really simple. Just download the IDrive software for Mac or PC and select all the folders you have configured for backup on your old service.
For example, to view all the files and folders that are backed up by Carbonite’s desktop software, here’s what you do:
- On a Windows PC: Open File Explorer, then open a device called “Carbonite Backup Drive.” The next window will list all the contents of your online backup. To view files and folders in your backup, double-click the “Backed Up Files” icon.
- On a Mac: Click on the Apple icon on the left side of your menu bar, then click “System Preferences,” followed by the Carbonite icon on the “Others” section. On the next window, choose the “Backup” tab. Again, this will list all the files and folders on your Mac that are currently being backed up.
To copy all your Carbonite files and folders to IDrive, download and install IDrive’s software for Windows or macOS. Once IDrive is up and running, simply log into your IDrive account. Once in, click on the Backup tab.
If this is the first time you’re running IDrive’s software, you might notice some of your folders are already tagged for backup. That’s because IDrive automatically preselects your critical folders, like Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music, for backup, similar to how Carbonite preselects user folders by default. These settings can be changed at any time.
To copy your old backup folders, simply reselect them in IDrive’s software.
You can also set your own day, time and frequency for the scheduled backups using the “Scheduler” tab, but if you want to perform an immediate backup of certain files and folders, click the “Change” option, then select “Backup Now.”
Before canceling your old backup service, it’s important to ensure all your local files are current. It’s also vital that you review your files and make sure you download and restore everything you may need to your local computer.
Having a few days of overlap between backup services is also a good idea. This way, you can go back to an older version of a backup file if needed. (Services like Carbonite keep old versions of your backed-up files on their servers for 30 days.)
Needless to say, before you uninstall your old backup service’s software, make sure all the folders and files you need are completely migrated to IDrive first.
Canceling Carbonite and getting a refund
If you’ve just signed up for Carbonite, you have up to 30 days to cancel your subscription and receive a full refund. If you cancel your subscription beyond those first 30 days, no refund will be issued; however, if there are any discrepancies on your account for fees billed, you may contact Carbonite within 60 days of the occurrence.
Once your Carbonite account has been canceled, sign up for IDrive and begin your first backup!