I get it. It’s December 14th and you’re still trying to decide just how many Alexa-compatible Big Mouth Billy Bass plaques you want to order before the Christmas shipping deadline. The struggle is real.
But you can take a deep breath. If you’re still pondering that decision or procrastinating on other Christmas shopping, Amazon has granted you an extension. In early November, Amazon expanded free shipping to everyone for the holiday shopping season, not just Prime members. Not only has that promotion been extended, some Amazon shoppers can keep those Christmas orders going all the way up to the last minute.
Keep reading, because I’m about to detail every Amazon shipping promotion going on right now. Not only that, we’ll also fill you in on shipping deadlines for USPS and other delivery services to make sure your Christmas gifts arrive in time.
Christmas gifts in the nick of time
It’s 11:45 p.m. on Christmas Eve, when out on the lawn there arose such a clatter. But that’s not Santa dropping off your last-minute Christmas orders.
Amazon Prime members can now finish their shopping on Christmas Eve with Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery and Prime Now. Deliveries will be made within a two-hour period all the way up to midnight. The caveat is you have to be in one of the 30 U.S. cities where Prime Now is available in order to take advantage of that promotion. Click or tap here for more information on Prime Now
For the majority of other U.S. Prime members, you’ll now be eligible for free one-day shipping, even same day in some areas. Amazon says Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery and Prime FREE One-Day Shipping has expanded to more than 10,000 cities and towns across the country. Click or tap here to learn more about Amazon Prime
And all other U.S. (non-Prime) customers will receive extended free shipping through Dec. 18 for orders that arrive in time for Christmas. There’s also no minimum purchase amount.
Here’s the breakdown from Amazon’s news release:
- Dec. 18 (extended): Last day for free shipping with no minimum purchase amount, free for all customers
- Dec. 18: Last day for standard shipping, free for Prime members
- Dec. 22: Last day for two-day shipping, free for Prime members
- Dec. 23: Last day for one-day shipping, free for Prime members in eligible areas
- Dec. 24: Last day for same-day delivery, free for Prime members in eligible areas (order by 9:30 a.m. local time or earlier)
- Dec. 24: Prime Now offers free two-hour delivery windows, reserved exclusively for Prime members in eligible areas (order by 9:15 p.m. local time or earlier)
- Dec. 24: Whole Foods Market stores, Amazon Books, Amazon 4-star, Amazon Pop-up device kiosks open Christmas Eve (store hours vary by location)
- Dec. 25: Give the gift that keeps on giving – Amazon Gift Cards and Amazon Prime
Other shipping cutoff deadlines for arrival by Christmas
USPS Shipping Cutoff Dates
- Dec. 14: USPS Retail Ground
- Dec. 20: First-Class Mail Service and Priority Mail Service
- Dec. 22: Priority Mail Express Service
UPS Shipping Cutoff Dates
- Dec. 18: UPS 3 Day Select (Dec. 24 delivery)
- Dec. 20: UPS 2nd Day Air (Dec. 24 delivery)
- Dec. 21: UPS Next Day Air (Dec. 24 delivery)
- Dec. 23: UPS Express Critical only (no other pickup or delivery service)
FedEx Shipping Cutoff Dates
- Dec. 17: FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery
- Dec. 19: FedEx Express Saver
- Dec. 20: FedEx 2Day A.M. and FedEx 2Day
- Dec. 21: FedEx First Overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight and FedEx Standard Overnight
- Dec. 25: FedEx SameDay City Direct, FedEx SameDay City Priority and FedEx Same Day