We’ve heard about exploding batteries in electronic devices such as phones and cameras. In fact, it was just last year there were reports of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 exploding.
Something you don’t often hear about is exploding furniture. But one furniture company is coming under scrutiny for a product it’s selling that shatters after purchase.
Customer complaints of glass furniture exploding
Customers say glass furniture from IKEA is spontaneously blowing up. The latest report is from an Indiana woman who ran to her teenage son’s bedroom after hearing a “big boom.” She discovered his glass-top “Glasholm” IKEA desk had exploded. Luckily, the woman’s son was at school and no one was hurt. IKEA is looking into the incident.
In the meantime, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating dozens of other similar complaints on several IKEA glass furniture products.
- One of them is the Granas glass tabletop that “exploded without warning” and sent glass “everywhere.”
- Another investigation is centering around another glass-topped desk that “sounded like a shotgun blast” when it exploded.
- The Swedish furniture superstore also came under fire in July when a customer from Wales reported her Salmi glass IKEA table shattered near her 1-year-old toddler.
Right after the July incident, IKEA issued a statement saying, “The safety of our products is always our main priority, and our entire range is tested rigorously to meet the highest standards. Over time, small knocks and fractures can affect the durability of tempered glass,” they said. “We understand the experience of the glass breaking can be distressing. However, tempered glass is designed to shatter to minimize the risk of injury.”
Apparently, this isn’t the first time IKEA has had complaints of this nature. A man on YouTube who said he’s a carpenter claims his dinner table “exploded during dinner” in 2013.
On IKEA’s website, there’s nothing noted about a recall of these products. The company also has not issued a statement about the more recent incidents.
The big bang that had airport passengers scrambling
A recent loud explosion at Orlando’s International Airport sent passengers running for cover. It wasn’t furniture but the loud bang still caused panic.