Have you ever heard that acronym for TEAM: Together Everyone Achieves More?
Well, the same is true for your connected gadgets and appliances. When they all work together, you get the most out of them. Kind of like what you get with a smart home. Tap or click here for information about a smart home starter kit and what you should buy first.
But to get your smart gadget “team” working, you’ll definitely need this web tool.
IFTTT is a web service that expands the functionalities of your connected gadgets, your social media accounts and even your phone and email by connecting them in fresh and unique ways.
IFTTT actually stands for “If This, Then That.” After you’ve created a free account, you will see a list of Applets to choose from. Applets are conditional statements that you can select or create to carry out specific functions. These applets are used for “recipes” that can automate your gadgets to do tasks based on a chain of events.
Recipes can be anything you can imagine. The possibilities are endless. For instance: Let’s say you want to stay informed about politics. You can link a news app to your email app. Every time that news source posts an article about politics, you will get an email in your inbox.
Suppose you just returned from a family reunion and your cousins are already tagging you in pictures on Facebook. Instead of downloading every photo one by one, there’s an Applet that will automatically save photos you are tagged in into Dropbox or your smartphone’s picture library.
Misplace your phone around the house a lot? You can sync the Alexa app with an app that locates your phone. Then, just tell Alexa to trigger the app and she will call your device.
IFTTT works with several popular apps and Internet of Things gadgets. Below are some more examples of Applets from their website.
- Open My Applets section and push the plus sign to create a new one.
- Select + this to select the trigger service. In this case, YouTube, then choose the trigger New public video from subscriptions.
- Connect (give IFTTT permission to access your YouTube account) and you will see a list of channels you subscribe to. Select The Kim Komando Show.
- Select + that to choose an action service. In this case, Notifications, then choose the action Send a notification.
- Edit the Applet’s name if you want, then hit finish.
It’s really simple and the app walks you through it. You can toggle Applets on and off or delete them if they are no longer useful.
Why IFTTT is a must-have service
IFTTT is a unique service and here are the reasons why you’ll want to use it:
- It connects your different apps and devices in new ways – IFTTT works with Alexa, smart lights, smart hubs, appliances, email services, social media sites, SMS messaging, phones and a whole lot more. What’s so special about IFTTT is it makes them work together in new and useful ways.
- It expands your virtual assistant’s capabilities – IFTTT also adds more skills to virtual assistants like Siri, Alexa, Cortana or Google Home, giving you access to more voice controls that you might think is possible.
- It makes your smart home a whole lot more personal – With IFTTT’s limitless customization options, you can tailor your smart home to your own preferences. You can make your smart lights, your smart lock and even your smartphone respond to personal cues and triggers.
- It can help you grow your business – With IFTTT for Business, you can embed any of more than 600 brands directly into your apps. You can also get insights into users’ behavior to better understand which of your services you should prioritize.
Ready to automate your life with IFTTT? Tap or click here to sign up and activate your first recipes from the comfort of your laptop or PC. Or, you can download the app for your smartphone or tablet.