When it comes to tablets, remember Apple's iPad isn't the only game in town. Amazon has just introduced a new version of its Fire tablet that gives iPad a run for its money — and at half the price.
Price isn't the only attraction to the Fire HD 10, the next generation of Amazon's largest tablet. A look at the tablet's specs shows why the new device makes work and entertainment a breeze.
We have information on why the Fire HD 10 is a big improvement over other Amazon tablets. Plus, we'll tell you about the kid-friendly devices Amazon also introduced today.
Amazon's next-gen tablet is on fire
Amazon's Fire HD 10 is faster, has more storage capacity and boasts a longer battery life. At only $149.99, it costs less than Apple's newly refreshed basic iPad.
Last month, Apple announced that the basic iPad will now have a 10.2-inch display, meaning the end of the 9.7-inch display that Apple has used on its iPad for almost a decade. The new iPad also features upgraded internals and longer-lasting battery life — all for $328.
The all-new Fire HD 10 includes:
- Better display - The 10.1-inch widescreen Full HD 1080p display has more than 2 million pixels for bright, vivid image quality.
- Faster processor - Its new octa-core 2.0 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM make switching between apps, streaming movies and browsing the web easier.
- Longer battery life - Up to 12 hours of mixed-use battery life.
- More storage - The Fire HD 10 has the most storage available of any Fire tablet, with either 32 or 64 GB, and support for up to 512 GB of expandable storage via microSD.
- Faster charging - This is the first Amazon tablet to use a USB-C port instead of micro USB. This makes for easier and even faster charging.
- Dolby Atmos audio - Custom-tuned stereo speakers for immersive and high-quality sound.
- Reliable - In tumble tests, the Fire HD 10 is four times as durable as the latest iPad Pro.
- Picture-in-picture - Watch your favorite videos from Prime Video, Twitch, Netflix, STARZ and more, while also browsing the web, checking email, reviewing your calendar or visiting social media sites.
- Hands-free Alexa - Always-ready with hands-free access to Alexa, you can control video and music playback, launch apps, get news and sports scores, display the weather and more.
- Screen Sharing - An Amazon expert can guide you remotely through any feature on your screen 24/7, 365 days a year for free.
- Amazon FreeTime - Amazon FreeTime's parental controls allow you to create child profiles on the Fire HD 10 to limit screen time, set educational goals and manage content.
Amazon's Fire HD 10 will be released on Oct. 30 but you can pre-order today. If you like what the Fire HD 10 has to offer, but your budget doesn't quite allow it just yet, you can look to the Fire HD 8 Tablet with an 8-inch display for $80. That price could drop soon, thanks to the release of the Fire HD 10.
Kindles for kids
Speaking of Amazon's FreeTime feature for kids, the company also announced today that it is expanding it to two new devices and existing TV devices. Kids love to read when they are younger, but a study by Scholastic finds that as children turn 9, their time and interest in reading drops. Amazon may have a way to entice kids to read more with its new products.
The Kindle Kids Edition is designed just for kids, allowing them to leave heavy books at home and carry a library full of books on one lightweight device. Kindle Kids Edition comes with the latest Kindle, a kid-friendly case, one year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited and a two-year worry-free guarantee — if anything happens to it, send it back and Amazon will replace it for free.
It features a 6-inch, 167 ppi e-ink display with an adjustable front light for comfortable reading in a variety of places. With a battery that lasts weeks, kids can enjoy reading as long as they like and parents can leave the charger at home.
Through the FreeTime Unlimited feature, kids have access to more than 1,000 kid-friendly books. The new Kindle Kids Edition costs $109.99 and is available for pre-order starting today. It begins shipping Oct. 30. As a special introductory offer, families can buy two Kindle Kids and save 25%.
This is the next generation of Amazon’s largest and fastest kids' tablet. It includes a Fire HD 10 tablet, featuring a 10.1-inch, 1080p, Full HD display and all the specs found in the adult version.
It also comes bundled with a year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, so kids can access to more than 20,000 books, Audible books, videos, educational apps and games curated for age-appropriateness.
Featuring a kid-proof case, the Fire HD 10 Kids Edition is available for pre-order today for $199.99 and starts shipping Oct. 30. As a special introductory offer, buy two Fire HD 10 Kids Edition tablets and save $50.
FreeTime on Fire TV accessories
Starting today, FreeTime is available on Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen) and Fire TV Stick 4K, as well as first and second-generation Fire TVs. This gives parents the ability to manage their child’s FreeTime, including age filter settings, bedtime settings, and weekday and weekend settings. In addition, parents can place or remove content from their child’s FreeTime profile.
Amazon continues to add to its product line, offering devices that are less expensive than Apple. Amazon also keeps in mind that many of its products are for adults and kids alike.
As an Amazon Association, Komando.com may earn a commission from qualifying purchases made on Amazon.com.
5 Fire TV Stick tricks you’ll use time and time again
When you want Netflix, Hulu, YouTube — any of the best streaming sites — all accessible from your TV, Amazon’s Fire TV stick is the device for you. The Fire TV stick lets you put the Internet, and all of its best video offerings, right in your living room, and with our handy tips and tricks for using it, you’ll never want to part with it.