When you buy something in a store or order it online, you have expectations about its safety. Whether it's an over-the-counter product at your local pharmacy or a toy for your children, there's often an assumption that they're free from any risks.
Unfortunately, that's not always the case. No matter how big or small a company, products aren't always perfect and recalls happen fairly regularly.
In fact, there have been several recalls within the past month, not including these fireworks or even these Apple laptops. Now's the time to check your home for this new list of products, including a few that deal with your children's well-being.
Eye drops sold at multiple retailers
The first recall involves a series of eye drops and ointments sold at multiple retailers. Some products are over-the-counter (OTC), while others are through prescription only.
Altaire Pharmaceuticals, Inc. announced various voluntary recalls last week for products that have the "potential for non-sterility." That's important because as they mention in the recall, "administration of a non-sterile product intended to be sterile may result in serious and potentially life-threatening infections or death."
They involve Perrigo-branded prescription and OTC ointments, along with other products that were sold at Walgreens and Walmart. Check out the list of products below.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Only certain lot numbers of the products listed below are involved in the recall. If you have one of these products, click or tap on the specific FDA recall link to find out if your product is impacted.
Perrigo prescription recall
- Neomycin and Polymixin B and Bacitracin Zinc Ophthalmic Ointment NDC Number: 0574-4250-35 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- NEO-POLY DEX (Neomycin and Polymixin B and Dexamethasone) Ophthalmic Ointment NDC Number: 0574-4160-35 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- NEO-POLYCIN HC (Neomycin and Polymixin B and Bacitracin Zinc and Hydrocortisone Acetate) Ophthalmic Ointment NDC Number: 0574-4144-35 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- POLYCIN (Polymixin B and Bacitracin Zinc) Ophthalmic Ointment NDC Number: 0574-4021-35 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- Bacitracin Ophthalmic Ointment NDC Number: 0574-4022-35 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- Sulfacetamide Sodium Ophthalmic Ointment NDC Number: 0574-4190-35 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- Puralube Ophthalmic Ointment (Please note: Puralube is an OTC product)
Altaire recall for OTC products manufactured/labeled exclusively for Walgreens
- Lubricant Eye Drops Moisturizing Twin Pack Walgreens item #: 801477 NDC #: 0363-0185-49 Package Size: 2 x 15 milliliters
- Sodium Chloride Ophthalmic Ointment, 5% Hypertonicity Eye Ointment Walgreens item #: 801482 NDC #: 0363-7500-50 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- Sodium Chloride Ophthalmic Solution, 5% Hypertonicity Eye Drops Walgreens item #: 801402 NDC #: 0363-0193-13 Package Size: 15 milliliters
- Lubricant Eye Ointment PF Soothing Walgreens item #: 801486 NDC #: 0363-0191-50 Package Size: 3.5 grams
Altaire recall for OTC products manufactured/labeled exclusively for Walmart
- Equate Restore Tears Lubricant Eye Drops Twin Pack W-M item #: 552374320 NDC #: 49035-189-49 Package Size: 2 x 15 milliliters
- Equate Eye Allergy Relief Drops W-M item #: 567371432 NDC #: 49035-887-13 Package Size: 15 milliliters
- Equate Sterile Lubricant Stye Ointment W-M item #: 563031651 NDC #: 49035-875-50 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- Equate Comfort Gel Lubricant Eye Gel Twin Pack W-M item #: 552374319 NDC #: 49035-197-49 Package Size: 2 x 15 milliliters
- Equate Restore PM Nighttime Lubricant Eye Ointment W-M item #: 551282425 NDC #: 49035-191-50 Package Size: 3.5 grams
- Equate Night & Day Restore Tears Lubricant Eye Pack W-M item #: 567368000 NDC #: 49035-883-59 Package Size: 3.5 grams and 15 milliliters
- Equate Support Advanced Twin Pack W-M item #: 567371433 NDC #: 49035-885-49 Package Size: 2 x 15 milliliters
- Equate Support Advanced Lubricating Eye Drops Dose Preservative Free W-M item #: 563031654 NDC # 49035-882-54: Package Size: 25 count (0.6 milliliter fill)
- Equate Support Advanced Lubricant Gel Drops Multi-Dose Preservative Free W-M item #: 567367998 NDC #: 49035-882-52 Package Size: 7.5 milliliters
- Equate Support Moisture Lubricant Eye Drops W-M item #: 553503238 NDC #: 49035-145-10 Package Size:10 milliliters
- Support Harmony Lubricant Eye Drops W-M item #: 553503238 NDC #: 49035-145-10 Package Size: 10 milliliters (Note: Support Harmony packaging was discontinued in January 2018.)
Altaire is calling this a precautionary measure, stressing that it has received no reports of adverse effects from its products.
If you have any of the recalled eyedrops or ointments, you're asked to return the product to the retailer where it was purchased. For questions, call Altaire Pharmaceuticals Inc. at 1-800-258-2471 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Monday through Friday or send an email to email@example.com.
Toy based on popular 'Toy Story 4' character
In another recently announced recall, Disney is pulling "Forky" plush toys from shelves due to a risk of choking. According to the recall, the "googly" plastic eyes on the toy can detach, posing a choking risk for young children.
Specifically, this recall involves the 11-inch "Forky" plush toy from Disney Pixar's Toy Story 4 and covers 80,000 toys in the U.S. (plus around 650 in Canada). Look for the following tracking numbers, which can be found on the sewn-in label attached to the base of the toy:
The recalled toy should immediately be taken away from children and returned for a full refund. Toys can be returned to any Disney Store retail location, Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort theme park retail store.
There have been no reports of injuries involving this toy. Call Disney with any questions, toll-free at 1-866-537-7649 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern Monday through Friday, Saturday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or Sunday from 2:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. You can also email them at personal.shoppers@shopDisney.com.
Other recalls involving your child's safety
Swaddle Bee's Loviebee security blankets for infants
These blankets have metal snaps that can detach, posing a choking hazard. So far, the company has received two reports of the snaps detaching, but no injuries.
They come in multiple color combinations, measure 16 inches by 16 inches and were sold online at swaddlebee.com and on the Swaddle Bee Instagram account from September 2018 through May 2019.
If you have one of these blankets, take it away from your child and contact Swaddle Bee for a full refund. They can be reached at 800-643-7044 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Sunday through Thursday. Or, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or through its website at swaddlebee.com.
Company Store girl's 100% cotton flannel, two-piece pajama sets
The Company Store is recalling girl's 100% cotton flannel, two-piece pajama sets for failing to meet the federal flammability standard for children's sleepwear, and could pose a risk for burns although no injuries have been reported. The recall involves sizes 2T through 14/16 and comes in unicorn, hedgehog and snowflake prints.
Look for this information on the sewn-in neck label:
The Company Store, RN#120962, 037114-21018-LOT and style 65002B
They were sold online at thecompanystore.com from September 2018 through April 2019. Call The Company Store at 800-655-033 from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. Eastern Monday through Friday or 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday to request a full refund. You can also visit its website by tapping or clicking here.
Prince of Sleep fleece pajama pants
Just Love Fashion is recalling Prince of Sleep-branded children's 100% micro polyester fleece pajama pants for also failing to meet the flammability standard. The pants have a green football print and come in sizes 4 through 14/16.
Look for Prince of Sleep and the size on the waistband's sewn-in label and check for this information underneath:
GPU 12001 and FPU 10001
These were sold online at Amazon and eBay from August 2017 through March 2019. To request a full refund, call 888-330-9632 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Monday through Friday. Or, email them at email@example.com with "Product Recall" as the email subject or visit its website by tapping or clicking here.
iPhone battery explodes, totally destroys Mom's car
While the capacity for lithium-ion batteries continues to increase, they still pose a risk of catching fire or even worse - exploding. That's what happened recently when an iPhone exploded inside an SUV, causing extensive damage.