It doesn't seem that long ago when smart appliances were just a fantasy, mostly realized on the big screen. That's all changed now.
Technology is catching up with Hollywood's vision, and having a smart home is now commonplace. Making things even better has been the introduction of virtual assistants, to control smart devices with your voice.
When you think of virtual assistants, Amazon's Alexa is most likely the first to come to mind. Which makes sense, Amazon recently said over 100 million Alexa-enabled devices have been sold. Plus, Alexa is constantly being updated with new skills to make "her" more helpful and efficient.
What's new with Amazon's Alexa?
This week added skills include how to find out when the first day of spring is, hear a movie joke and play Three Questions trivia. Keep reading to find out more.
- "Alexa, open Choose Your Own Adventure."
Relive classic Choose Your Own Adventure stories with this new Alexa skill from Audible. You choose the adventure, you decide what happens next. Learn More.
- "Alexa, give it up for science."
- "Alexa, how do I publish a custom skill?"
With Skill Blueprints, you can now create custom Alexa Skills and publish them to the Alexa Skills Store for anyone to use — no coding required.
- "Alexa, when is the first day of spring?"
- "Alexa, play the playlist Cold Weather Indie on Amazon Music."
- "Alexa, how do I play music in all my rooms?"
- "Alexa, sing-along with Queen."
Live out your rock-and-roll dreams and sing-along with the rock band, Queen.
- "Alexa, tell me a movie joke."
- "Alexa, open Ultimate Oscars Movie Trivia."
- "Alexa, who is the UFC welterweight champion?"
- "Alexa, who is your favorite actor?"
- "Alexa, open Three Questions."
- "Alexa, what time is sunset?"
- "Alexa, what’s on your mind?"
Bonus: Alexa skills to help with spring fashion:
- "Alexa, what is Echo Look?"
Check your outfit of the day. Take full-length photos and 6-second videos with Echo Look, a hands-free camera and style assistant with Alexa.
- "Alexa, what should I wear?"
- "Alexa, what’s trending in fashion?"
There you have it folks. That's the list of new Alexa skills for this week. Check in with Komando.com each week to find out other new skills being added.
Privacy and data protection in the "internet of things" age
The "things" in the internet of things are getting smarter: We have smartphones, smart light bulbs, smart appliances, smartwatches -- all connected through the internet. That’s cool and convenient, right? There's one big problem: They're designed to be connected, but not to be secure. We talk to Steven Teppler, a renowned privacy and cybersecurity attorney from Mandelbaum Salsburg, about how connected devices put people at risk for not only stolen data, but data we unwittingly share with big tech companies.