Set aside 30 minutes to listen to Dr. Taniguchi break down cancer treatment technology. Tap or click to listen now.
New approaches to treating cancer
Regular Komando on Demand guest Dr. Cullen Taniguchi of MD Anderson Cancer Center joins Mike James to talk about developments in radiation technology that are giving cancer patients hope and longer lives. You may remember Dr. Taniguchi from an earlier episode, where Kim asks him, "Can you get cancer from what you eat?"
Set aside 30 minutes to listen to this episode, or download it and listen on your drive to or from work.
Here's what you'll learn:
- How targeted radiation technology works with the body's immune system to fight cancer (this is exciting!)
- The pinpoint precision with which doctors can target tumors in the body
- Side effects (they're still present, but they are less severe and last less time)
- How the body responds to oxygen levels and changes in temperature
Stage 4 cancer isn't a death sentence
In an excerpt from the interview, Dr. Taniguchi explains what happens when someone gets a stage-four diagnosis of cancer.
"When stage four is diagnosed, it has spread beyond the primary tumor," he said. Yet stage four doesn't mean a death sentence. It may mean it's not curable, but it's treatable and manageable. He compares it to other non-curable diagnoses like diabetes and heart disease.
Those conditions may not be cured but they can be managed by a variety of therapies.
"In some cases [of treating stage four cancer], we can get a full response and get something close to a cure," he said. "We try to turn cancer into a manageable disease."
Plus, Mike quizzes Dr. Taniguchi on an alphabet soup of cancer-related acronyms -- EBRT, IMRT, 3D-CRT, IGRT and more -- and Dr. Taniguchi explains these terms in a way that we actually understood.
How to listen and subscribe on different devices
Don't forget to subscribe to the podcasts so you never miss an episode. Here's how to listen and subscribe on different devices:
For iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
Listening to the Komando FREE Podcasts on your Apple device is as easy as going to the podcast app.
- Open the Podcasts app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Click on the magnifying glass search icon at the bottom of the screen
- Select Search and type in "Kim Komando"
- Select the podcast from the list of search results.
- Click "subscribe" when "my podcasts" pop up
- Select the podcast you want to listen to and double-click to play
For Android gadgets
Follow these easy steps:
- Install the free Beyond Pod podcast player for your Android here
- Open the app and click on the MENU dots (those are the 3 dots in corner)
- Select Search and type in "Kim Komando"
- Click "subscribe" next to Komando on Demand
- Add to a Category or click + New Category and Label the category "Kim Komando" Then select New Category
- Refresh the page
- Select what episode you want to listen to most and click play
Bonus: Leave me a review and win a great prize!
If you love podcasts, I have a great place where you can get all your favorites in one place. And the best part is: you win a prize!
The best way to find and listen to Kim's podcasts is through PodNet.com. It's an on-demand digital audio network built by podcasters. You’ll find a collection of podcasts that are produced, distributed and available in one place.
You can listen to Kim's free podcasts and others we know you'll enjoy. When you're done, leave an honest review on any of Kim's podcasts on iTunes and be entered to win a prize!
Just a couple of minutes of your time can be a huge benefit to you and all of our other subscribers who want to hear informative podcasts they will enjoy.
Cancer: How DNA detectives are cracking the case against the world's most perplexing killer
Unexplained cancer outbreaks are happening around the world. But here’s the mystery – why is the epidemic striking certain parts of the world, while others remain untouched? In this episode of Komando on Demand, Kim looks at how, with the latest technology, teams of "DNA Detectives" are discovering surprising clues in the fight to cure cancer. Kim talks to Dr. Cullen Taniguchi of the MD Anderson Cancer Center who shares crucial, new information about the progress of the fight against cancer.