Are you part of the ever-growing smart home trend? Millions of Americans have already equipped their homes with smart appliances and devices that can easily be controlled by an app.
Smart thermostats, light bulbs and door locks are just a few things that you might want to begin the process with. Once you have a few smart devices, there's even an easier way to control them than with an app. Instead, give a voice command to a virtual assistant.
This is one reason Amazon's Alexa is so popular. The virtual assistant can help you with tons of things around the house, even better it's always expanding its library of skills. Let's look at some recently added ones that you'll use all the time.
What's new with Amazon's Alexa?
Surely by now you know that Alexa uses "skills" to help you around the house. Echo devices do more today than just let you listen to music and tell you about your morning commute.
This week, Amazon added skills that include Sports Jeopardy, new location-based reminders, and how to start a free Audible trial. Keep reading to find out more.
Here is a list of Alexa skills that were recently added:
- "Alexa, what’s the Amazon Beta Testing Program?"
- "Alexa, open 'Sports Jeopardy!'"
- "Alexa, what are the Grammy nominations this year?"
- "Alexa, open Rookies' Guide to the NFL."
Your official way to learn about the NFL with Alexa. Learn more.
- "Alexa, what is Brief Mode?"
- "Alexa, add three minutes to my nachos timer."
Just in queso you need more time to be game-day ready. Add and remove time on your timers or restart as you need it.
- "Alexa, tell me a black history fact."
- "Alexa, start ESPN."
- "Alexa, tell me a football super fan joke."
- "Alexa, how many days are in February?"
- "Alexa, give me a Groundhog Day fun fact."
- "Alexa, announce that the game is starting."
- "Alexa, remind me to take out the trash every Thursday when I get home."
Now you can create location-based reminders to get a notification when you arrive at or leave a location.
- "Alexa, how old is Tom Hanks?"
- "Alexa, start my Audible trial."
For a limited time only, get 4 free audiobooks when you start an Audible trial on an Alexa-enabled device. Learn more.
That's what's new with Alexa for now. Check back with Komando.com each week to find out what else is being added to Alexa's skills.
Morning routines of the super successful
Do you know what the main key ingredient to success is? Habit! Get ready for some truly life-changing stories and tips from highly motivated movers and shakers. You'll learn from their habits how they stay on top of their game. We talk to VU Dream founder and podcaster Mark Metry as well as CEO and renowned attorney Joseph Harary about how they became successful and what they did to get there. By the end of this podcast, you'll be loaded with tools to guide you on your own transformation.