Can you believe that the holiday season is just around the corner? Like every year, many people will be traveling over the holidays.
Whether your children or grandchildren are coming home from college for a long Thanksgiving weekend, or you are traveling across the country to spend time with the in-laws over Christmas, there's a good chance that you're going to book a flight.
With millions of Americans traveling during the holidays, it's extremely important to plan ahead so you can find the best deals. Booking holiday travel at the wrong time could end up costing you big time.
That's why if you're planning to take a trip, now is the time to act fast. Read on see what are the best days to fly to save big in this year's holiday rush.
Book your holiday flights now for maximum savings
According to the latest CheapAir Holiday Flights Report, there are specific days you can book your holiday flights for maximum savings.
Sourced from tons of airfare data and its exclusive airfare shopping engine, CheapAir has gathered the information you need to get the best deals in airfare during this year's busy holiday season.
Remember, the Tuesday after Cyber Monday -- called Travel Deal Tuesday -- is one of the best days of the year to find cheap flights, with airlines offering more than 40% off round trip flights to destinations all over the world. This year, Travel Deal Tuesday is Nov. 27.
Here's what CheapAir recommends for maximum savings.
Thanksgiving Day travel tips
- It looks like the Monday of this year's Thanksgiving Week is the best day to fly for outbound flights. If you fly on Nov. 19, you can save around $40 per ticket compared to flights on the day before Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving Day itself is a comparably cheaper day to fly this year.
- The Sunday after Thanksgiving Day is one of the most expensive days to travel this year. You can save almost $100 per ticket if you fly on Saturday instead.
- The Monday after Thanksgiving is a relatively cheaper day to fly back but if you can wait until Tuesday to book your flight, you can save around $209 per ticket!
Christmas Day and New Year's Day travel tips
- The cheapest flights for Christmas are on Tuesday, Dec. 18, for the departure and Friday, Dec. 28, for the return flight.
- Traveling on Christmas Eve this year can save you an average of $76 compared to traveling on Dec. 22, which falls on a Saturday.
- Flying on New Year's Eve is the cheapest day to fly home!
- If you can stretch your holiday vacation until Jan. 3 (Thursday), it can save you around $60 per ticket on your return flight. Jan. 2, 2019 (Wednesday), has the most expensive rates for flying home.
More tips for snagging the best value flight
Now that you know what are the best days to book your flights, here are more tips you can try, just in case:
- Be flexible:
As usual, airfare bargains can be very dependent on when you want to fly. You’re more likely to grab a killer price if you have some flexibility in your dates. In a similar vein, you may be able to save if you’re willing to put up with making connections along the way rather than flying direct. Look at your options and see how much you’re willing to compromise in search of a deal.
- Use a price-watch service:
The Hopper app’s “Flex Watch” feature is a personalized deal finder that alerts you when destinations you are interested in go on sale. Sites like Google Flights and Kayak also have price-tracking features that will notify you when an airfare bargain is up for grabs. Click here for 5 tips for scoring the best airfare deals with Google Flights.
- Be ready:
Set up your airfare alerts in advance or get them going on the morning of Travel Deal Tuesday so you can focus on your day and not feel like you have to check prices every few minutes. If a deal looks good, jump on it. Discounted fares can sell out quickly.
- Use your travel rewards:
Do you have a travel-rewards credit card? Your Travel Deal Tuesday bargain could get all the sweeter if you have rewards to redeem. Check your balance and work your rewards into your cost calculations.
7 travel hacks only the pros know to save time and money
Your dream vacation doesn’t have to just live in the realm of fantasy. Check out these seven hacks that will help you navigate your next trip (and your travel budget) like a pro.