Can you believe summer is almost over? It really seems to fly by once the Fourth of July comes and goes.
And you know what the end of summer means. Yep, kids will soon be coming home from camp, hanging up their little league gloves and heading back to school.
That means it's time to stock up on new clothing and school supplies. This can cost a pretty penny, especially if you have more than one child to buy for. But we have good news, your state might offer special savings that can really help your pocketbook.
Big savings on school supplies
Going back to school in style is important to children. They're always going to want a new wardrobe to keep up with today's fashions.
Clothing alone can be expensive, but that's not all we need to pick up. There are also backpacks, pens, pencils, books, notepads and a range of other items that they'll need to make it through the school year.
It's estimated that parents will spend an average of $510 per household on the things their kids need this year for school. But some states across the U.S. do offer a little relief.
Many states have what's known as a tax-free weekend for back-to-school purchases. The items that can be purchased tax-free vary from state to state, so be sure and check what's eligible before you go shopping so you have a game plan. I'll list eligible products below.
Here are the states that offer the discount and when it's available:
- Alabama - (Note: Alabama's 2018 tax-free weekend has already happened.)
- Arkansas - August 4 to August 5. Eligible items include: clothing, footwear, art supplies and school supplies.
- Connecticut - August 19 to August 25: clothing and footwear.
- Florida - August 3 to August 5: school supplies, clothing.
- Iowa - August 3 to August 4: clothing, footwear.
- Louisiana - August 3 to August 4: school supplies.
- Maryland - August 12 to August 18: clothing and footwear.
- Mississippi - July 27 to July 28: clothing and footwear.
- Missouri - August 3 to August 5: clothing, computers, graphing calculators, school supplies.
- New Mexico - August 3 to August 5: backpacks, clothing, computers, footwear, computer equipment, handheld calculators, school supplies.
- Ohio - August 3 to August 5: clothing, school supplies.
- Oklahoma - August 3 to August 5: clothing, footwear.
- South Carolina - August 3 to August 5: clothing, computers, footwear, school supplies.
- Tennessee - July 27 to July 29: art supplies, clothing, computers, school supplies.
- Texas - August 10 to August 12: clothing, footwear, school supplies.
- Virginia - August 3 to August 5: clothing, footwear, school supplies.
- Wisconsin - August 1 to August 5: clothing, computers, school supplies.
Bonus: 2-in-1 productivity laptop & tablet by Komando™
If you're looking for a great back-to-school gift for that special student in your life, this 2-in-1 productivity laptop and tablet is the perfect choice!
This isn't your run of the mill tablet. It's a portable Tablet and Laptop in one, a fully loaded productivity system you can use for everything from streaming your favorite shows to creating documents. This versatile PC Tablet is pre-loaded with Windows 10 and has the power and performance to keep up with your daily life.
With its unique design, your kids can use it as a laptop to create their school documents then flip the keyboard over behind the screen and in seconds present them in a tablet format. The locked keyboard is a great feature to prevent any accidental typing while they carry it around.
3 NEW places better than Craigslist to buy and sell used items
It’s been a little while since the last time we talked about Craigslist alternatives, but once again you’ve fallen out of love with some items in your closet, and gotten some new electronics that make you less interested in your older ones. It’s time to sell some things - but where can you go these days that still isn’t Craigslist?