You don’t have to go to a restaurant to enjoy a luxurious meal. Kim relies on our sponsor HelloFresh to help get a gorgeous, healthy, and flavorful dinner on the table fast. HelloFresh delivers meal kits right to your doorstep. Here’s one of Kim’s favorite recipes, and it’s a real stunner: Salmon En Papillote.
We’re all familiar with salmon, but what is “en papillote?” It’s a classic French cooking technique that translates to “in parchment.” For this recipe, we’re using aluminum foil to wrap salmon fillets in convenient pouches for cooking in the oven. This locks in flavor and moisture, but also has the huge bonus of making cleanup a breeze!
This recipe is perfect for anyone observing Lent. It’s quick, gourmet, and gives you a stunning dinner presentation with roasted asparagus and eye-catching salmon on a bed of fluffy couscous. If the weather is good, you can even make this outside on the grill!
This recipe serves two, but you can also get a delivery with ingredients for four. These are the prime ingredients you will find in your HelloFresh box:
1 yellow onion
8 oz asparagus
¼ oz tarragon
12 oz salmon
¼ oz chives
½ cup couscous
You only need to provide a few teaspoons of olive oil and some salt and pepper from your own kitchen. The ingredients sound incredible, so now let’s make the dish.
As with all HelloFresh recipes, this gets dinner to your table fast with a preparation time of just 30 minutes.
- Wash and dry all the produce. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Halve, peel, and finely chop the onion. Zest the lemon until you have ½ teaspoon of peel, then halve it crosswise and slice half of it into thin rounds. Trim the asparagus and discard the bottom inch from the stalks. Mince the chives. Mince the tarragon until you have 1 tablespoon.
- Drizzle a little olive oil into a small pot set over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of water, a large pinch of salt, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add the couscous. Cover the pan, remove it from the heat, and let it rest until needed.
- Tear off two sheets of aluminum foil and set a fillet onto each one. Season with salt and pepper and place two lemon rounds onto each fillet. Sprinkle with some chives, though be sure to save some for the sauce. Fold the aluminum sheets over and crimp the edges together to make a seal for the packets.
- Place the salmon packets on one side of a baking sheet. Set the asparagus on the other side and drizzle with olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the asparagus. Toss or roll them to coat. Pop the baking sheet into the oven and roast until the salmon is cooked through and the asparagus is tender for about 10 to 12 minutes. Unwrap the salmon carefully since the packets may release steam.
- Combine the tarragon, remaining chives, half of the zest, and a drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon to taste.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and season with salt, pepper, and zest. Divide it between two plates. Set the asparagus beside it. Rest the salmon on top of the couscous and drizzle with the sauce and a squeeze of lemon if you like. Pro tip: for an extra lovely presentation, leave the lemon slices on top when serving.
Do you love seafood? Check out one of Kim’s favorite HelloFresh recipes: Lobster Ravioli and Shrimp with Tomatoes and Tarragon Cream Sauce.
Kim loves HelloFresh, and for good reason.
Kim’s busy life doesn’t stop her from having healthy family dinners.