Most of the country is under a blizzard freeze right now, and for me, that means it's time for some comfort food. You know, the food that just makes you feel warm, full and happy. Just because I live in Arizona, doesn't mean I don't need comfort food, it gets a little brisk here too (I see the eye rolls from the east coast and midwest).
So light up that fireplace, get your cozy blanket out and let me share one of my favorite, easy recipes from my sponsor Hello Fresh. What I love about Hello Fresh is that I don't need to go scrambling through my cabinets to make sure I have all the ingredients I need. They deliver everything, right to my door. Super fresh ingredients, with a step-by-step guide on how to make it.
All of their meals are on the table in 45 minutes or less, and you don't need to be a chef to make them! Although, the finished product will make you feel like one.
This week, as I mentioned, I want comfort food! So here's what we're making!
Swedish Meatloaves with Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Carrots, and Currant Jam
I mean, just look at the picture! You can almost smell it! Click here to save $30 on your first HelloFresh box plus FREE shipping.
Here's what was delivered in my HelloFresh box:
1 Yellow Onion
2 slices of White Bread
20 ounces of Ground Beef
1 teaspoon of Nutmeg
2 units of Beef Stock Concentrate
24 ounces of Yukon Gold Potatoes
1/4 ounce of Parsley
13.5 ounces of Milk
1 teaspoon of Meatloaf Mix
2 tablespoons of Flour
4 tablespoons of Currant Jam
Now, the only things I need to add from my kitchen are 4 teaspoons of vegetable oil, 4 tablespoons of butter, some salt and pepper to taste. The whole meal is done in six easy steps.
- Wash and dry all produce. Put your oven rack in the upper position and preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Peel then cut your carrots into ⅓-inch-thick diagonal coins. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Peel the onion and cut it in half, then mince it until you have ½ cup (use the rest as you like). Also, finely chop your parsley.
- Spread carrots on a baking sheet and generously drizzle them with oil and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. While they're cooking, place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover them an inch with water. Bring them to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and keep them aside in the empty pot.
- Place bread and 6 TBSP milk in a large bowl. Break up the bread slices with your hands until its pasty. Then thoroughly mix in beef, half the minced onion, half the parsley, ¼ tsp nutmeg, meatloaf mix, salt, and pepper. Shape the meat mixture into four 1-inch-tall loaves.
- Drizzle a good amount of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add meatloaves and cook them until they are browned on the surface but not cooked all the way through, about 3 minutes per side. Once the carrots are roasted, remove the sheet from the oven and give carrots a toss. Add meatloaves to same sheet and place in oven. Bake until meatloaves are cooked through and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes more.
- In the same frying pan you were using, melt 2 TBSP butter over medium heat. Add the remaining minced onion. Cook and stir until they're soft, about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, until it's pasty, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in 1 cup water, followed by stock concentrates and ½ cup milk (save the rest for potatoes). Bring the mixture to a simmer, then whisk until it thickens. It should only take about 1-2 minutes. Season it with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Lastly, place the pot with potatoes over low heat and add 2 TBSP butter and ½ cup milk. Mash it until it's smooth. Season with salt and pepper then divide potatoes and meatloaves between plates. Drizzle with the gravy mixture and add the carrots and jam to the side.
Looks delicious right? HelloFresh meals are delivered right to your doorstep each week in a refrigerated box. Once the box is opened, the ingredients will stay fresh for up to a week. And, you're only sent what you need, which means you won't have to worry about food waste or leftovers.
By far, one of the best things about HelloFresh is its affordable pricing. You can feed your whole family for less than $10 per plate. And, as a listener of my show, you can save even more.