You may have noticed but Google Search has impressive prediction tricks up its sleeves. It can correctly guess what keywords you want in a search before you even finish typing, it shows you what type of news you want to read, it knows what products you might be interested in, and so much more.
It might be creepy at times, but admit it - this familiarity can be quite convenient. Google tracks so much about its users, it feels like a long-lost friend who knows us so well.
One interesting thing that Google keeps track of is popular and trending searches. This is precisely why its search algorithm can magically predict what you're trying to type. Try it - type a phrase like "What is" or "Why is" on Google Search and it will suggest the most popular searches that start with it.
Top Google "WHY DO" searches in each state
On that note, AT&T compiled a list of the top "Why Do" Google searches in each U.S. and the results are interesting, if not downright hilarious.
For example, I didn't know California wants to know "why do flies like poop?" and Idaho wonders "why do men have nipples?" New York wants to get to the bottom of "why do feet smell?" while Michigan citizens ask the quintessential question of humanity - "Why do I have diarrhea?"
As with anything that has to do with the internet, it's quite comforting that cat and dog questions lead the "Why Do" Google searches across multiple states. Apparently, Wyoming asks "How to kiss" a lot.
However, we need to keep a close watch on Florida citizens because they keep asking "Why do I feel so alone?" Yikes! Maybe they need to spend more time outdoors than doing random Google searches.
Anyway, here's AT&T's full list of "Why Do" searches in each state:
- Alabama: Why do dogs lick?
- Alaska: Why do we celebrate Halloween?
- Arizona: Why do people lie?
- Arkansas: Why do we sleep?
- California: Why do flies like poop/Why do ankles swell/Why do birds suddenly appear/Why do girls wear makeup/Why do humans kiss/Why do humans cry/Why do I feel so alone/Why do jumping beans jump/Why do people snore?
- Colorado: Why do my boobs hurt?
- Connecticut: Why do yankees do thumbs down?
- Delaware: Why do dogs eat grass?
- District of Columbia: Why do I sweat so much?
- Florida: Why do I feel so alone?
- Georgia: Why do you love me?
- Hawaii: Why do roosters crow?
- Idaho: Why do men have nipples?
- Illinois: Why do dogs have tails/Why do my teeth hurt/Why do zebras have stripes?
- Indiana: Why do my boobs hurt/Why do cats knead?
- Iowa: Why do cats knead?
- Kansas: Why do cats knead/Why do I sweat so much?
- Kentucky: Why do cats knead?
- Louisiana: Why do people yawn?
- Maine: Why do leaves change color?
- Maryland: Why do you want to work here?
- Massachusetts: Why do cats hate water?
- Michigan: Why do I have diarrhea/Why do people cheat?
- Minnesota: Why do apples float?
- Mississippi: Why do living things need water?
- Missouri: Why do tomatoes split?
- Montana: Why do dogs eat grass?
- Nebraska: Why do fireflies glow?
- Nevada: Why do dogs lick?
- New Hampshire: Why do leaves change color?
- New Jersey: Why do yankees do thumbs down?
- New Mexico: Why do we dream?
- New York: Why do feet smell?
- North Carolina: Why do hurricanes form?
- North Dakota: Why do dogs eat grass?
- Ohio: Why do I hate myself/Why do guys have nipples?
- Oklahoma: Why do dogs lick?
- Oregon: Why do cats knead?
- Pennsylvania: Why do birds sing/Why do cats hate water/Why do dogs pant/Why do farts smell?
- Rhode Island: Why do cats purr?
- South Carolina: Why do I sweat so much/Why do kids bully?
- South Dakota: Why do dogs eat grass/Why do dogs eat poop?
- Tennessee: Why do fireflies glow?
- Texas: Why do ears ring/Why do eyes twitch/Why do I bruise easy/Why do my kidneys hurt/Why do my legs ache/Why do seals slap themselves/Why do they call it the birds and the bees/Why do veins pop out?
- Utah: Why do we yawn/Why do NFL players kneel?
- Vermont: Why do leaves change color?
- Virginia: Why do people cheat?
- Washington: Why do cats like boxes?
- West Virginia: Why do cats purr?
- Wisconsin: Why do fireflies glow?
- Wyoming: How to kiss?
The search site that does not track you
While Google is great at finding what you're looking for, it's not the most privacy-friendly search site available. If you're looking for an alternative search site that doesn't track you, try this site.