Most viral sensations come and go but April the giraffe is different. People have become really invested in her pregnancy. The last time the Kim Komando Facebook page posted her live feed, the video received over 17,000 views and over 1,700 comments! A pregnant (human) mom's Facebook live video went viral after she spoofed April's live feed. She even has her own emoji!
But, after all this time the question remains: when will the calf be born? We've all tried to be patient but it feels like we've been waiting forever. Is she giving birth anytime soon or has the zoo been teasing us as a way to make money?
First off, AprilTheGiraffe.com actually doesn't give a lot of information about her. Most of the information we receive is through posts on the Animal Adventure Park Facebook page.
Basically, April hasn't delivered yet because the baby just isn't ready yet. The doctors don't know when the baby is coming. A post on March 31 predicted the baby would come the next day, which caused many people to speculate that the whole thing was an elaborate April Fools' Day prank.
But here we are a week later and still no baby. The zoo hasn't shared how far along she is but we do know that the average length of pregnancy for a giraffe is 13-15 months. All we've been told is that she could go into labor at any moment. According to a recent post from one of her doctors, she's not overdue and they won't be inducing labor.
The owner of the Animal Adventure Park started the live stream so that people could keep up with April's pregnancy while the zoo is closed in the off-season. The stream started in February, at which point she may have only been 13 months along. So if she's on the longer side of the spectrum then it still might be a few weeks before we see a baby.
In the meantime, the zoo is definitely cashing in on all of the hype. Here are all the ways that the Animal Adventure Park is making money because of April's pregnancy:
- April has a Go Fund Me page. The fundraising goal was $50,000 but they've currently surpassed that with $121,149 raised. The funds will be used for the giraffe family's care and improvements to the facility.
- There's an online store for April apparel. Prices range from $7.99 to $36.99 for shirts, decals, and hats with her face on them.
- For a one-time cost of $4.99, you can receive April updates in the form of text alerts.
- Remember that emoji I mentioned earlier? It's cost $1.99 to download it from the App Store or Google Play store.
- Have you noticed the Toys R Us logo in the bottom left of the video stream? That's probably a paid ad.
April is 15 years old and her mate Oliver is 5; the zoo celebrates their birthdays on June 21. Some employees at the zoo are hoping the calf will be born closer to that time. There will be a contest to decide what his or her name will be. If you can't get enough of April, make sure you listen to Kim's podcast to get the inside scoop.