One of the most exciting new technologies is 3D printing. Today, you can purchase a printer and filament to make prototypes, parts, crafts, experiments, models and more. The printers are becoming commonplace in homes, libraries, and schools. And 3D printers have become more affordable than ever, some costing just a few hundred dollars.
A couple in San Francisco, however, were apparently unaware of the very real dangers of 3D printing. Roger (35) and Valerie Morash (32) were both Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduates. The married couple died, along with their two cats, this past week because their 3D printer was leaking toxic gasses, including carbon monoxide, into their residence.
A recent study of 3D printers by the Illinois Institute of Technology revealed several disturbing facts.
Some 3D printers use filament that has been identified as a possible carcinogen and other types of filament seriously irritate our respiratory system.
We don't know the 3D printer make or the type of filament that the Morash's were using at their home. Authorities have yet to reveal this important fact. Some sites are reporting it was not a printer. It was a 3D laser cutter. Symptoms and signs consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning were found in the Morash's bodies.
If you own a 3D printer, there are very important safety measures that you must take.
Be sure you have great ventilation in the area. Read the user's manual for any warnings. And install carbon monoxide alarms with a DC backup in your home.
Obviously, additional studies and work need to be done to increase the awareness of safety measures to take when using 3D printers. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Morash family.