Are you familiar with the term "millennials?" They are individuals who were born sometime between the early 1980s and early 2000s, right after Generation X. Millennials are considered the first generation to have grown up with the internet.
Some people think that millennials are very narcissistic. Time magazine even published a cover story about them a few years ago titled "The Me Me Me Generation." Now, a vehicle is being designed specifically to fill their needs.
Chrysler showed off its new concept car, the Portal, this week at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The car manufacturer says it came up with the concept by studying millennials for 20 years. The Portal is designed by millennials for millennials and is expected to have all the features that they would want from their vehicle.
Of course, one thing the Portal has the ability to do is take selfies. That's just one of the many new technologies slated for this concept car.
Chrysler Portal features
Chrysler detailed the Portal's features in a press release:
- More than 250 miles of range on a full charge.
- DC fast charge - You will be able to drive 150 miles in about 20 minutes of charging. There is a Chrysler winged badge on the front of the car that serves as a charging indicator light.
- Lithium-ion battery pack - Around 100 kWh lithium-ion battery pack integrated into the vehicle chassis, increases structural rigidity and provides a low center of gravity, enhancing handling and ride comfort.
- Integrated charging port - Located at the front of the vehicle, uses the Combined Charging System (CCS) for energy and communication between the vehicle and EV Supply Equipment (EVSE) for DC fast charging.
- Level three autonomy - The driver has the option to turn driving control over to the vehicle under certain highway driving situations.
- Sensor technology - It's equipped with an array of sensor technologies (lidar/radar/sonar/vision) that constantly monitor conditions outside and inside the vehicle.
- Upgradeable technology - The Portal's sensors and computing power can be upgraded to provide higher levels of autonomy as technology progresses.
Watch this video to see more details on the Chrysler Portal concept car:
Since this is a concept car, there isn't a date of when it will be released, if ever. We also don't have any pricing details. We'll just have to wait and see if this concept ever comes to fruition.