Detecting the scam
The Hicurdismos malware scam uses a fake Blue Screen of Death to fool its victims. Here are a few things you can look for to spot one of these fake support scams:
- Spotting a fake BSOD - Real error messages from Microsoft will not include a phone number for support. They will actually provide you with an error code and instructions to search for more information.
- Anti-malware products - Windows 8 and 10 already has Windows Defender built-in. If you are running these operating systems there's no need to install Security Essentials.
- Certificates - Microsoft installers are signed by a Microsoft certificate.
If your PC is infected
If you are already a victim of Hicurdismos or any fake support scam, take these steps:
- Apply all security updates as soon as they're available. Do a full scan of your PC to remove the threat.
- Change your passwords.
- If you paid the scammers, call your bank or credit card provider to get the charges reversed.
- Watch for any suspicious login activity. Block all traffic to services that you would not typically access.