Leave a comment

Exploding phone causes man's vehicle to catch fire

Exploding phone causes man's vehicle to catch fire
Fox 13 News

With all of the hype over the new iPhone 7, one company is probably hoping you won't notice the major problems it's having. Last week, rumors started spreading over batteries catching fire in one of Samsung's most popular smartphones.

Just prior to Apple's huge launch event, Samsung confirmed that the rumors were true and issued a worldwide recall of the Galaxy Note 7. This was all in response to the 35 incidents that were reported where the smartphone caught fire due to a faulty battery. Click here if you missed our coverage of this story.

Although the issue only affected one out of 42,000 smartphones, Samsung decided it wasn't going to take any chances. Shipping ceased, products were pulled from the shelves and those who already owned a Note 7 were promised a replacement.

For one family in Florida, however, the replacement didn't come soon enough. According to a recent report by Fox 13 News, Lydia and Nathan Dornacher of St. Petersburg, Florida, lost their vehicle - a Jeep Grand Cherokee - due to a faulty battery in Nathan's Galaxy Note 7.

The phone was left charging in the vehicle's center console as Lydia unloaded the Jeep and prepared to run more errands. The couple's 8-year-old daughter, as well as their family dog, were instructed to get back in the vehicle. However, Lydia noticed that the dog began to act strangely. After that, she and her husband soon realized that the Jeep was in flames.

The couple shared the experience through a Facebook post, stating the following: "Not the barbecue I wanted on my day off. We go to a garage sale to grab a desk for bonnie [sic] get back to the house unload the car leave it running ac [sic] on to keep the car cool we were planning on grabbing the dog and Bonnie and heading to petco [sic], I head back out to the car to grab my phone which was on the charger (me and Lydia always fight over the house charger) go to open the door and see flames inside... open the door and it's engulfed run inside to get extinguisher and of course not to be found yell at Lydia to call Fire Department and well here is the end result...."

Luckily, no one was injured as a result of the incident.

Officials at Samsung were contacted regarding the incident and have issued a statement. The statement claims that the company is now aware of the fire and is working directly with the Dornacher family to look into the occurrence further. The company also used this statement as an opportunity to remind consumers of the product exchange program announced last week.

There's just one problem. Samsung's product exchange program is still somewhat vague.

A post explaining the exchange program on the Samsung Newsroom website provides the following two options:

1. Exchange current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 (available next week)
2. Exchange current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7 specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices.

This post was issued on September 2, and additional information has yet to be released. For those who are hoping to exchange their device, specific details are still pending.

In the meantime, if you own a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, limit its use as much as possible. Contact Samsung directly for more information on replacing your phone or getting a refund.

Next Story
Source: Foxnews
This $50 gadget can steal your Windows password in seconds
Previous Happening Now

This $50 gadget can steal your Windows password in seconds

NFL fans can now watch games online, but there is a catch
Next Happening Now

NFL fans can now watch games online, but there is a catch

View Comments ()