Leave a comment

Man falls and iPhone explodes

Man falls and iPhone explodes

Sydney cyclist Gareth Clear was riding his bike with his iPhone 6 in his back pocket over the weekend when his foot slipped off the pedal. He lost his balance and fell, all par for the course for riders of any level.

What he was not expecting was his phone to explode upon impact, thereby sending him to the hospital with third-degree burns and the need for a skin graft. "I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket ... and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain and searing heat," he tells the Sydney Morning Herald.

Though he'll be housebound all week, Clear is expected to fully recover in a matter of weeks. And his phone, whose top is still intact, otherwise looks like "something from a chemical explosion."

ihpne burn

Clear, a 36-year-old from the U.K., says he doesn't blame Apple but thinks the company should make the issue known to users. Apple hasn't commented publicly, though Clear says he did get a private response, one he described as "very technical-driven." That is, "No one's asked me, 'How are you?'"

A spokesperson for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission says that it's all about the batteries, and that athletic types might avoid carrying phones in their pockets when there is the chance of such an accident: "Lithium batteries are vulnerable to significant physical impact, [which] may damage the extremely thin separators that keep the elements of the battery apart." (Lithium batteries can pose serious problems on planes, too.)

Fix these critical router flaws now
Previous Happening Now

Fix these critical router flaws now

Top Story: 200 million Yahoo accounts are for sale on Dark Web
Next Happening Now

Top Story: 200 million Yahoo accounts are for sale on Dark Web

View Comments ()