Remember when your mom warned you not to play with your food? Well, it looks like you should be careful when you play with your gadgets, too. That's what one teen in South Korea learned the hard way.
The problem occurred when a 13-year-old girl removed her Misfit Shine activity tracker from the wristband it came with. She did this because she wanted to attach the device to her clothing, or put it on a chain and wear it as a necklace. But when she went for a swim, she did neither of those things. Instead, she put the Misfit Shine in her mouth.
If you're unfamiliar with the Misfit Shine, it's a fitness and activity tracker with a disk that's a little larger than the size of a quarter. It's also completely waterproof, so no one knows why the girl put the device in her mouth. But she did - and then she accidentally swallowed it.
Afterward, an X-ray revealed that the Misfit was lodged in her stomach, but doctors were hoping it might pass through her digestive system naturally. Thirty hours later, the news wasn't good. Another X-ray showed that the device hadn't moved at all.
This raised concerns about what might happen if no action was taken to remove the device.
The Misfit contains a lithium battery, which made doctors worried. So, the young girl was scheduled for an emergency surgery to have the device removed from her stomach.
To retrieve the device, doctors went in through the girl's esophagus and used an endoscopic snare. The operation took 72 hours total. And, surprisingly, after the Misfit was removed from the girl's stomach the doctors were shocked to find it still worked.