The NYPD tweeted a tip reminding everyone of the dangers of sleeping with your smartphone:
Don't put your cellphone under a pillow when sleeping or when charging your device.Please share this tip and b safe! pic.twitter.com/uwD3PXgVQf
— NYPD 33rd Precinct (@NYPD33Pct) February 16, 2016
The photo used, however, is not from a recent incident, but rather from an incident in 2014 in Texas that we covered. In that incident, 13-year-old Ariel Tolfree fell asleep with her Galaxy S4 in her bed. She woke up to the smell of smoke and fire, as her phone melted away while underneath her pillow.
Samsung responded to the incident positively, replacing the girl's mattress, bedding and of course, phone. Samsung also pointed out that they post a warning in the Galaxy phone's user guide that "specifically states covering one of their devices with bedding or other material could restrict airflow and cause a fire." Samsung was also quick to point out that the phone's battery wasn't from Samsung. It was a replacement unit from a third party.
And that's not the only incident. This iPhone 5c caused second-degree burns, other Android phones have exploded, more iPhones have exploded in pockets and other Samsung models have had similar issues. The list is lengthy.
Third-party chargers and other gadgets are usually the culprits in cases like these. Luckily, there are some things you can do to prevent something like this from happening to you. Click here to read up on Battery Safety 101 and click here to learn why it's so important to not use third-party gadget chargers.