You might want to think twice before you get buy a hoverboard for that lucky boy or girl on your Christmas list this year.
One mother in Louisiana started a GoFundMe page to recoup losses from a house fire started by a hoverboard she bought for her son's 12th birthday.
Jessica Horne purchased a "self-balancing scooter" from a company called Fiturbo, via Amazon. Unlike the heavily popular PhunkeeDuck which retails around $1,500, Fiturbo models run much cheaper, in the $300 to $500 range.
In this case, that cheaper quality comes with an even higher price. According to the GoFundMe page, the hoverboard caught fire while it was charging, which is also something there have been several reports on with these cheaper models of hoverboards.
In fact, the video below is just one example of the damage a hoverboard can cause. This incident posted to YouTube on November 27, 2015, and the owner told local news channels that the board had just been turned on and not even driven 100 feet before it caught fire.
The problem is so bad in the UK that is was the subject of a BBC Watchdog investigation, which found that "people are definitely at risk from what we’ve seen, particularly the charger: There’s no fuse, there’s no protection, so it’s just going to short-circuit, overheat, explode and catch fire." It's the same thing that we've seen happen with fake and knockoff phone chargers.
So far, there are no reports of hoverboard fires causing injuries, but the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission notes there have been eight reports of hoverboard injuries. However, those were related to falls.