Did you know that today is National Coffee Day?
Get ready to go on a caffeine bender, because many coffee shops across the country are giving away free coffee and other deals today. What could possibly be better than free coffee?
Legend has it that an Arabian shepherd named Kaldi stumbled upon his goats dancing and prancing energetically around a dark-green-leafed bush with bright red juicy cherries. He took a bite into the cherry and was overcome with a strange sense of energy and euphoria.
Kaldi shared this discovery with local monks and they began using it to stay awake during long days of worship. Soon, the trick was spread to all corners of the world and after thousands of years of experimentation and perfecting the craft, coffee as we know it today was created.
In thanks to Kaldi's goats' coffee buzz here's a roundup of the deals you can snag on National Coffee Day (courtesy of Time.com):
- Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf: Iced coffee, flavored iced coffee and iced Americanos will be 50% off normal prices at participating locations.
- Cumberland Farms: Text the phrase FREECOFFEE to 33733 and you’ll get a coupon good for a free coffee—hot or iced, any size—all day on Tuesday at the convenience store chain with 600 locations in Florida and the Northeast. Coffee is free at on October 9, 16, 23 and 30 as well during Cumberland Farms “Free Coffee Fridays” promotion.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: Each customer at participating DD locations is welcomed to one free medium cup of Dark Roast coffee on Tuesday.
- LaMar’s Donuts: This chain with dozens of locations in Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and other states is giving away one free 12-ounce coffee per customer—plus a free travel mug while supplies last—on Tuesday (at participating shops only, of course).
- Krispy Kreme: Customers at participating Krispy Kremes around the country get a free 12-ounce cup of coffee—plus a free original glazed donut to boot.
- Maui Wowi Hawaiian: Use the promo code ALOHACOFFEE at checkout to get 50% off online orders on Tuesday.
- Original Brooklyn Water Bagel Co.: Purchase any item on the menu and you’ll get a free Cold Brewsta coffee on Tuesday.
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea: Get a free small cup of Peet’s Major Dickason blend coffee when you buy a food item.
- Pilot Flying J: Use the coupon posted at this highway rest stop chain’s Facebook page to get one free 16-ounce cup of coffee per customer on Tuesday.
- Sheetz: The first 150 customers at Sheetz convenience stores get free travel mugs, and all customers are welcomed to a free coffee on Tuesday.
- Stewart’s Shops: This convenient store chain concentrated in the upstate New York area around Albany is offering one free coffee per customer after 3 p.m. on Tuesday.
- Wawa: Each customer is welcomed to one self-serve cup of any hot beverage up to 24 ounces in size, free of charge on Tuesday.
- Whole Foods: Throughout the entire month of September, the price of a 12-ounce coffee is just 25¢ at Whole Foods.
- BONUS: Caribou Coffee isn’t giving away coffee on Tuesday, but it is celebrating National Coffee Day in a special way. The coffee chain will donate a cup of coffee to nurses and families in cancer centers for each cup of Amy’s Blend coffee sold.
Visit any of these participating stores to get a free boost of energy and that familiar sense of "energy and euphoria." Your wallet and brain will thank you!