A few days ago, I told you about a pair of hackers - Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek - who created a program to remotely take control of an Internet-connected car. It let them cut the brakes and run it into a ditch. It's scary stuff for sure; click here for the full story.
Affected cars are those from Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, Ram and SRT that have the Uconnect entertainment system made after mid-2013. The first estimate was that up to 471,000 cars and trucks were at risk.
Chrysler issued a patch to solve the problem, but it looks like it's decided to take more drastic action. It's now "recalling" 1.4 million vulnerable vehicles.
Here's the full list of recalled vehicles from Chrysler:
- 2013-2015 MY Dodge Viper specialty vehicles
- 2013-2015 Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups
- 2013-2015 Ram 3500, 4500, 5500 Chassis Cabs
- 2014-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cherokee SUVs
- 2014-2015 Dodge Durango SUVs
- 2015 MY Chrysler 200, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans
- 2015 Dodge Challenger sports coupes