iPad sales have been sliding further and further lately. Sales of the iconic Apple tablet have dropped every quarter over the past year, even as Apple has set all time revenue records. There's just not that much interest in tablets anymore as smartphones have gotten bigger and full of new and excellent features. Phablets anyone? But that could all change with the next iPad if these new leaked details turn out to be true.
The new iPad is being referred to as the iPad Pro, but there's no evidence that it's the actual name Apple plans on. Like with so many Apple products, Apple doesn't release advanced details prior to their big orchestrated press events. So we are stuck with rumors and the occasionally leaked photo.
Either way, here they are. According to Apple Insider the new iPad will include:
1. A 12.9 inch display. The 12.9 inch display will be quite amazing, or so we can hope. I guess size does matter, as the current iPad Air is only 9.7 inches.
2. NFC Radio. By adding NFC Radio, users will be able to use the iPad as a terminal for Apple Pay. This would also make it easier to pair your iPad with other gadgets.
3. Apple-built Bluetooth Stylus. Enough said. Imagine everything you can do in Photoshop with a stylus!
4. USB-C and Lightning docking capabilities. Apple already added the USB-C port to the new MacBook, so this isn't a big surprise. But what is a USB-C port exactly? That's a good question, because it's not quite the same as the USB connections on your current laptop. The USB-C ports are smaller and, more importantly, reversible. That means you can never stick it in upside down. No matter which way you plug in your USB-C cable, it will fit into the port smoothly. It can also be used to charge and transfer data.
5. Next-generation A-series processor. The current iPad runs on an A8X.
Want to see how these rumors stack up against the current tablets on the market? Click here to check out my Tablet Comparison Chart and find out!