Leave a comment

Samsung Galaxy explodes

Samsung Galaxy explodes
photo courtesy of SHUTTERSTOCK

This woman is pretty lucky that nothing more serious than two small fires resulted in her bedroom. I know, it sounds crazy, but a phone exploding is nothing to laugh at.

You've heard about phones exploding when they're left charging with faulty chargers or being smothered by a pillow or clothing. But in one woman's case, she said that her phone simply exploded.

A fourth-year computer science student, Hope Casserly, said that she was settled in for the night, with her Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 on the nightstand. Her Facebook post says that the phone wasn't plugged in, it was simply sitting there at 93% battery charge.

"My back was to the phone and ... I saw a light going across my shoulder, which would be the inside of the battery on fire. It hit the wall and fell onto my bed," Casserly said, according to the CBC.

The phone exploded, sending the battery in one direction and the battery casing in another, causing two fires to erupt. One of the fires caught on Casserly's mattress, but thankfully she was able to put them both out with her pillow.

A Samsung spokesperson told CBC that the company reviewed the phone after the incident, and determined that it was an unauthorized battery in the phone that malfunctioned and caused the explosion. However, Casserly says that she never switched out the battery.

Even though Samsung sent Casserly a replacement phone, but she says she won't be using it anytime soon.

Hope Casserly's Facebook post:

Next Story
Source: Mashable
View Comments ()
Now you can search for Facebook posts
Previous Happening Now

Now you can search for Facebook posts

You're thinking about your cellphone even when you're not using it
Next Happening Now

You're thinking about your cellphone even when you're not using it