Leave a comment

Apple's hot new phone literally catches fire in man's pocket

Apple's hot new phone literally catches fire in man's pocket
Phillip Lechter

Can you just imagine your phone catching fire inside your pants? An Arizona man says that's exactly what happened to him when his phone bent during an accident.

Of all the comments and stories I've heard about Apple's new iPhone 6 so far, none has been about bursting into flames - until now.

Phillip Lechter claims his iPhone 6 literally caught fire inside his blue jeans pocket, causing some serious burns to his leg and hip.

According to his blog, here's how Phillip tells the story. He was riding in a rickshaw, a little bicycle-powered carriage, in Tucson, Arizona. The bike got caught in some railroad tracks and the rickshaw toppled over. In the upset, Phillip's phone and pants caught on fire.

The smoke was thick and I quickly laid down to get the APPLE iPhone 6 out of my pocket.  The smell was disturbing. I could feel my leg burning. I pulled the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket and threw it to the side.

Bystanders came to the rescue, tossing water on Phillip's flaming blue jeans and phone. He says one good Samaritan was also burned while trying to pick up the burning phone.

In photographs on the blog, the burned phone is bent. When iPhone 6 was released last month, other users complained that the phone could easily bend inside pants pockets.

Like so many incidents that happen these days, bystanders were quick to capture the situation on video.

Next page: Click here to see the video and Apple's response
The biggest tech controversy you've never heard of
Previous Happening Now

The biggest tech controversy you've never heard of

Deal of the Day: 60% off Flash Drive Cuff Links + 30% off Logitech Conference Cam
Next Happening Now

Deal of the Day: 60% off Flash Drive Cuff Links + 30% off Logitech Conference Cam

View Comments ()