iSIGHT identified six primary targets:
- Ukrainian government organizations
- Western European government organizations
- European telecommunications firm
- Polish energy sector firms
- An unnamed U.S. academic organization
The scary part about this hack is that this vulnerability has been present in every Windows machine during August of 2013. While the only way for a hacker to get this malware onto a computer is through social engineering, it appears that the hackers may have been successful.
That means that amateur revolutionaries can commit dangerous hacks online. After the latest wave of dangerous retail hacks, I think that this is something that we should all be worried about.