Oracles, soothsayers, fortune tellers, prophets and lots of other people have been trying to predict the future since the beginning of time. Whether or not any of them succeeded is something I'm not going to debate here.
Still, you tend to think of future predicting as being something humans - or animals - do. You don't think of technology as having that special "something."
Could Cortana, Windows' virtual assistant, change things?
Back when the 2014 FIFA World Cup was on, Cortana was asked to predict the outcomes of the top 16 games. Believe it or not, she correctly predicted the outcome of 15 games out of 16.
Was it dumb luck, or could her results be duplicated with the NFL season? So far this year, Cortana's NFL prediction record is 116 -60. That's not too bad.
I've asked for her NFL game day predictions, and I've recorded the results to see how they compare.
Note: You can ask Cortana who she thinks will win on Sunday by simply asking, "Cortana, who will win? Team A or Team B?"
Here are Cortana's picks for Week 13:
- Chicago Bears vs. Detroit Lions — Lions win, 62.9% chance
- Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys — Cowboys win, 58.2% chance
- Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers — 49ers win, 53.3% chance
- Washington Redskins vs. Indianapolis Colts — Colts win, 83% chance
- Tennessee Titans vs. Houston Texans — Texans win, 67.4% chance
- Cleveland Browns vs. Buffalo Bills — Bills win, 56.6% chance
- San Diego Chargers vs. Baltimore Ravens — Ravens win, 61.4% chance
- New York Giants vs. Jacksonville Jaguars — Giants win, 55% chance
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Bengals win, 71.6% chance
- Oakland Raiders vs. St. Louis Rams — Rams win, 65.9% chance
- New Orleans Saints vs. Pittsburgh Steelers — Steelers win, 75.4% chance
- Carolina Panthers vs. Minnesota Vikings — Vikings win, 59.8% chance
- Arizona Cardinals vs. Atlanta Falcons — Cardinals win, 59.8% chance
- New England Patriots vs. Green Bay Packers — Packers win, 58.2% chance
- Denver Broncos vs. Kansas City Chiefs — Broncos win, 59.8% chance
- Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets — Dolphins win, 67.4% chance
Do you like Cortanta's predictions? Let me know by posting in the comments below.