We've seen it before and I'm sure we will see it again.
OnePlus, a phone company mainly catering to Android enthusiasts, has issued a formal apology to one of its OnePlus One users (known only as MiyZu) after the smartphone's battery exploded in his back pocket, causing minor burns and damaged jeans.
Carl Pei, the director of OnePlus Global, issued the following statement to Android Police:
"We are very sorry to see one of our users had to experience this with their device as the safety of our customers is our first and foremost concern. We have already contacted MiYzu to learn more about his condition, as well as dispatched OnePlus staff to physically retrieve back the phone. This way, we can determine the circumstances surrounding this so that we may work to prevent this happening in the future.
Our products undergo extremely rigorous testing, and this is the first time anything like this has happened. We take this issue very seriously. We will send MiyZu a new phone and also reimburse him for the damage to his jeans and phone case, as well as any medical costs associated with this accident."
The cause of the explosion isn't yet known, but there's a good chance it could have something to do with a third-party charger. That was the case with this Samsung phone, and in this case where a Samsung Galaxy S4 nearly burned a house down.
iPhones aren't immune either. This iPhone 5c caused second-degree burns
Luckily there are some things you can do to prevent something like this from happening to you. Click here to read up on Battery Safety 101 and click here to learn why it's so important to not use third-party gadget chargers.