Leave a comment

A cheap phone charger may have killed this mother of two

A cheap phone charger may have killed this mother of two
photo courtesy of SHUTTERSTOCK

Sadly, a mother of two in Australia died from electrocution stemming from a knockoff phone charger.

Sheryl Aldeguer, a 28-year-old nurse, was found dead in her house wearing headphones with her laptop in her lap, covered in burns on her chest and ears.

Police are still investigating, but they believe Aldeguer was talking on her phone while it was plugged in to the wall with a faulty, $4.99 USB-style charger.

Lynelle Collins from the New South Wales Department of Fair Trading told AFP:

"Somehow power from that charger has connected to her body. Whether she had it (the phone) to her ear or was holding it in her hand, we don't know."

The Department of Fair Trading has since removed unauthorized USB chargers, and has alerted people to the dangers of using cheap knockoff chargers. The department has also warned the general public not to use their phones while the devices are changing.

It's alarming news, and you can take certain steps to prevent something like this from happening to you. Click here to learn how to spot a faulty gadget charger to keep you and your family safe. 

Next Story
Here's what you need to know about Android TV
Previous Happening Now

Here's what you need to know about Android TV

This woman had Photoshop artists from around the world touch up her picture
Next Happening Now

This woman had Photoshop artists from around the world touch up her picture

View Comments ()