It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a ... Virtual Reality headset made of cardboard?
Google has created a do-it-yourself way to turn your Android smartphone in a virtual reality headset. It's called, whimsically enough, Google Cardboard.
Google Cardboard was created by a Google employee as part of the 20%, which is a special allotment program that allows employees to work on side projects and technology innovations. If the product is good enough, then Google will back it.
What's so special about this cardboard headset? It offers fully immersible Virtual Reality through your phone.
Google has put together a bunch of different demo software for you to test out Google Cardboard. Take a look at the list:
• Earth: Fly where your fancy takes you on Google Earth.
• Tour Guide: Visit Versailles with a local guide.
• YouTube: Watch popular YouTube videos on a massive screen.
• Exhibit: Examine cultural artifacts from every angle.
• Photo Sphere: Look around the photo spheres you've captured.
• Street Vue: Drive through Paris on a summer day.
• Windy Day: Follow the story (and the hat) in this interactive animated short from Spotlight Stories.
You can find the instructions, list of materials and links to the materials you'll need here at Google Cardboard. Download the Google Cardboard app for Android smartphones here.