Skip to Content

iPhone suddenly blows up in owner’s hands at repair shop

Last month, we reported about an Arizona woman’s iPhone that suddenly caught fire while it was charging. This isn’t the first reported case of an exploding iPhone. Apple customers in China started complaining last October to a consumer watchgroup that their iPhone either caught fire or exploded.

Are these occurrences your regular one in a million flukes or is this an issue similar to the exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fiasco?

The jury is still out but this new footage of another exploding iPhone may make you pause and think.

A video of an iPhone 6 Plus that appeared to spontaneously catch fire while it was in its owner’s hands was posted yesterday.

The incident took place in a repair shop in Queensland, Australia while the owner was reportedly trying to get his iPhone’s damaged screen repaired.

As seen on the CCTV video below posted on YouTube by ViralHog, the iPhone’s owner was showing the shop technician the extent of the screen’s damage when the phone abruptly exploded with thick smoke billowing out of it.

Click here to watch the video on YouTube.

“A customer came into the store with screen damaged iPhone 6+ for repair,” the shop told ViralHog. “The customer wanted repair of broken screen and complained of Apple genuine battery not holding charge.”

The shop then removed the iPhone 6 Plus’ Otterbox protective case and prepared to take the iPhone in.

Interestingly, as shown in the video, the owner started applying pressure to the iPhone’s display and immediately after, the phone abruptly explodes. The shop said that the pressure applied by the customer was nothing out of the ordinary and it’s “the same as any normal person would do [every day] during regular use.”

The force of the explosion is said to have blown the display straight off the phone. Thankfully, the attendant was quick enough to douse the burning iPhone’s flames before it could cause further damage.

The shop, however, was evacuated and closed for the rest of the day due to the lingering noxious fumes spewed out by the burning phone battery.

The shop did not give any explanation on how the iPhone may have exploded.

“Draw your own conclusions,” the shop said, “but imagine if this happened five minutes earlier when the guy was driving to the shop and not in the shop.”

Is this latest iPhone explosion a reason for concern or was it caused by prior damage? Drop us a comment!

Woman’s headphones explode on her face while mid-flight

33 million Americans affected by massive online data leak

Popular messaging app users could have been hacked with a single photo

Ambassador Program background

Refer friends, earn rewards!

Why not share your new source of digital-lifestyle news, tips and advice with others? When your friends and family subscribe to Kim's free newsletters, you earn points toward awesome rewards!

Get Rewarded