How does the Everything search tool work?Once downloaded from Voidtools.com and installed, this freeware application will, by default, launch with the system startup and run in the system tray. The first time you use Everything, it will read the system’s Master File Table (MFT) and index all your files and folders into its primary database. After that, Everything will update the database in real-time, thus, reducing the time its searches require.Uncertain of which version of Everything to download? Here is a chart indicating which would be appropriate for your system and use:Click here to find complete installation instructions.While the database is hidden behind the scenes, Everything’s interface will be familiar as it resembles File Explorer with the standard seven tabs; file, edit, view, search, bookmarks, tools and help above the search bar. By simply typing in your desired filename, Everything will instantly display the results.You may find Everything so swift, you don’t even have the opportunity to finish typing your query or hitting the enter button.BONUS: Everything you need to know about Everything
Advantages of the Everything application
- It’s free
- It’s portable, allowing you to index any system
- Uses a minimal amount of system resources
- Simplicity – Everything is a no-frills search tool
- Results are displayed immediately
- One can use regular expressions, Boolean operators, wildcards or file extensions
- Searches across multiple internal and external hard drives simultaneously
Disadvantages of using the Everything search engine
- Search results may be too vast, requiring refinement.
- Default settings do not include the ability to search the content of a file, although this can be enabled via options.
- Search selections are limited to document, picture, compressed, video, executable, folder, audio or everything (all seven file types).
- Sorry Mac users, Everything is only available for Windows