According to research from Pew, the number of people who use online dating is increasing every year, especially among people age 18 to 24 and ages 45 to 64. They surveyed American adults and found that 15% had used an online dating site.
The survey also asked about people's attitudes toward online dating, and the consensus is clear: Every year, online dating loses its negative stigmas and is becoming an accepted and even expected way to find love.
- 80% who've used online dating say it's a good way to meet people
- 62% of survey recipients say online dating helps you find better matches
- 61% say it's an efficient way to meet people
Since the early 2000s, online dating has grown from a novelty to a legit way to find romance. Who doesn't know at least one person who's met and found the love of their lives online? On the other hand, who hasn't heard dozens of horror stories?
With that in mind, Kim put together a guide for you -- adult singles looking for sincere relationships with other adults -- and it's packed with information to help you get started, attract the right people and, most importantly, stay safe online.
There are so many places you can go online to meet other people. We found research that said there are as many as 8,000 websites devoted to online dating and others that said the number is closer to 2,500. Whatever the number, there are more than you know what to do with, and this eBook will help you search for, find and use the right site.
Kim's 7 Steps to Successful Online Dating:
- Protect yourself, your devices and your personal information from predators, stalkers and creeps.
- Identify your deal-breakers, as in, "I'd never date anyone who'd..."
- Choose a platform from the six largest online dating sites listed in the eBook or from a handful of niche sites (there's one for vegetarians!).
- Build a date-worthy profile (Bonus tip: Listen to "Stop with the Bathroom Selfies," a conversation with online dating expert Meredith Golden, author of SpoonMeetSpoon.com).
- Make connections; this section is particularly helpful if you're new to online dating. It covers what to say, what not to say and how to safely approach conversations.
- Meet in real life (IRL)! Our favorite part of this chapter is Kim's list of icebreaker topics.
- After you've met -- Kim offers tips for what to do next if you like the person or don't and some solid advice about taking occasional breaks.
Great news! You have a new way to listen to my show
I've been on the radio for more than 20 years, and earlier this year I expanded to a global audience with The Kim Komando Show airing on Bloomberg TV. Now, I'm coming to your living room, bedroom and kitchen so you can listen to my show whenever you want, wherever you are.