Do you have an eye for detail and a love for proper grammar? Does a misplaced comma make you cringe? If you’re well versed in AP style guidelines and ready for a new challenge, we’re looking for you to fill this position!
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to be part of a national radio, television and podcast network.
We are seeking an experienced, in-house Copy Editor to join our team. This position is heavily relied on to ensure our extensive output of daily articles and newsletters are published with clean copy, accurate data and consistent branding. Not only that, the ideal candidate will have experience in marketing trends and full understanding of SEO best practices and the importance of cross promotion.
As our Copy Editor, you will be a core team member involved in planning, coordinating and reviewing exciting and informative content for our website, electronic guides and subscription-based publications. You're the last person to see the article before it publishes, your keen attention to detail is paramount. This is a dynamic environment where you’ll work with some of the most talented coworkers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Copy edit, proofread, fact check and rewrite content, including the following areas: spelling, grammar, usage, consistency, client style guide, Editorial department guidelines, checking tracking links, accuracy and overall writing quality
- Catch grammar, punctuation, spelling errors following AP style
- Keep current on industry standards to ensure effective content accuracy
- Understands and complies with our organization's content guidelines and article format
- Review and edit all content throughout the process to ensure quality, accuracy and consistency before release
- Check design elements, copy, compliance, legality, SKUs, pricing, logos, trademarks, phone numbers, URL
- Build daily email newsletter templates and prepare them for scheduling
- Completes assigned tasks and produces content quickly, calmly, accurately and proficiently to meet multiple daily and weekly deadlines
- Assist the writing team with fact checking
- Regularly reviews the company website to ensure it's error-free
- Suggests stories and generates headline ideas in alignment with the company's target audience
- Identify opportunities for cross-promoting our offerings in articles when appropriate
- Check and ensure that each article is optimized by including appropriate category, tags, meta title, meta description and excerpt
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS
- Extensive knowledge of AP style
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills
- Excellent grammar and impeccable spelling required
- A keen eye for detail and spotting grammar issues, typos and other writing mistakes
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Proficiency in online content management tools, workflows and preview capacities
- Engaging headline writing skills a plus
- Ability to maintain high-quality work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Work collaboratively with team members
- Willingness to adapt and take on new roles and responsibilities as required.
- Experience writing for spoken word, radio and/or TV scripts a plus
- Ability to accept direction and constructive criticism
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related work experience.
- Minimum 2 years of professional copy editing experience in a publishing environment.
- Extensive knowledge of SEO best practice
- HTML knowledge preferred
- Excellent written skills and knowledge of the English language.
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking
- Experience covering the digital/electronics industry a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office, WordPress or similar CMS and Web publishing tools
We offer very competitive salary that is based on experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including: major medical, dental, vision, pharmacy, life insurance, 401k with employer match, and AFLAC group services. Paid time off includes: sick, corporate holidays, and personal vacation. This is a full-time, onsite position at our studio and broadcast center in Phoenix, Arizona. Apply in confidence today.